Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

CVS

CVS has decided to quit selling tobacco. Wonder if Walgreens will follow them.

My guess is they are not making enough money to justify the space, but I could be wrong

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

the space? at a typical CVS the space is about 8 feet of wall behind the counter.
What are they going to put there, instead? Condoms? freeobamacarebirthcontrol? Idiots. I never shop there anyway.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
hockeymaniac
Herf Meister

The report I saw said CVS made 2 billion a year on cigarettes. I'm thinking insurance companies are starting to put pressure on pharmacies.

Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be here

"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."
hockeymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymaniac View Post
The report I saw said CVS made 2 billion a year on cigarettes. I'm thinking insurance companies are starting to put pressure on pharmacies.
Insurance companies could really give a shit. This is a push from the anti-tobacco, pharma public health nutballs. Still, CVS made the choice.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Health insurers, who CVS needs to keep happy because they pay for a lot of prescriptions, may lean on them, but I am not so sure.

CVS didn't make 2 billion selling tobacco, maybe they sell $2 billion of retail volume. Maybe.

CVS will find something for that space that makes sense for tehm, we will find out, my guess it will be high volume/high margin given where it is, it could also be stuff needing security. The layout of a retail pharmacy is no accident. The whole planogramming of a store is a big big deal.

CVS has been struggling, and this gives them a nice publicity announcement and they can look like this is all health based, but I am certain it is a business decision because they are a business.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

and, as a pharmacist, I have to say, selling tobacco and liquor in a pharmacy does make for an interesting professional thought. I know some of you don't agree but tobacco os not healthy, and healthcare professionals are supposed to furhter the health.

I am not trying to set off a debate on safety/health/tobacco/freedom of choice.

I do find CVS' decision interesting.

There will not be black market sales of tobacco because of this. There may be increased tobacco sales at other stores. CVS will bask in the glow of this for a while.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
beevod
Herf God

Maybe they're making room for anticipated marijuana sales.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
tonycsmoke
Club Member

I find the reaction more entertaining then the decision. It's a private company that is making a decision that they think will help them, either through PR or sales.

Anti-Tobacco is hailing this as a major victory. It is not. There simply will be 7000 less places to buy tobacco. With several million places to buy it now, it has no affect.

As to the other side (which I closely align) - there are claims that it will force those sales to the black market. That this will somehow start the conversation getting rid of tobacco sales. It won't.

I find it hypocritical. If they are really concerned with health then they wouldn't have 25% of their stores dedicated to chips, soda and candy.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

I find it hypocritical. If they are really concerned with health then they wouldn't have 25% of their stores dedicated to chips, soda and candy.
When I see a company eliminating the candy gauntlet at the registers I'll be impressed. Maybe thirty years ago a a local store instituted program that there would always be one "candy free" register that mommies could drag their children through. I'm still not sure what to make of that one tiny experiment.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
OregonDuck
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
And beer, wine, and liquor.
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote