Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Congress Passes Stringent Tobacco Shipping Laws

I just published this CW Analysis/Opinion in CW News.
Guys, this is CRITICAL, it's already passed the House with little more than a whimper.

Quote:
CW Analysis Congress Passes Stringent Tobacco Laws

The U. S. House of Representatives has passed strict tobacco legislation regulating the "trafficking" of cigarettes and smokeless tobaccos by means of the mail and other mail-order. It also involves the Attorney General's office for enforcement and creation of another bureaucracy within the...- Read More
This is serious business, we need to get everyone on board, and get this defeated. It's just cigarettes and smokeless, right now, but it will be cigars and pipe tobacco next, BANK ON IT.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
ConMan
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Tommy - count me among those who are defeated. If you think we can put together a grass roots effort to defeat this and any other tobacco legislation you are kidding yourself. There are much stronger lobbies that are winning the battle and the government's own need for money is driving this among many other taxes (which I will not even go into). Just what we need here as well... more government control.

Truth be told, there is not a damn thing you or I can do about it. Hell, the tobacco lobby can't even do anything about it.

Politicians in this country give not a shit about our rights. Believe me. We're in the minority here. When they make it too damn hard to smoke (can it really be much harder to actually relax and enjoy a cigar than it is now?) and continue to tax it to death, I'll just have to savor what I have then quit when they're gone.

I'm a beaten man, mate.
ConMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Jeebus.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
tonpax

yet another of more reasons to order from overseas sadly.
tonpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
jimstep

It's getting out of hand...
jimstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstep View Post
It's getting out of hand...
Getting? It's been and for a long time.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Tommy -
Does this board have an email blast function? You need to email this to EVERYONE...

If you have a way to collect "digital signatures", I'll pay to send a fax-blast / email blast to all the senate and house... we just need to write up a concise message opposing this.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonpax View Post
yet another of more reasons to order from overseas sadly.
Not to be a Nervous Nelly here, but with the creation of a Tobacco Enforcement Unit (as this bill requires), how long do you think it will be before overseas interdictments outstrip domestic ones?

The camel's nose is in the tent. How long do you think it will be before the mandate is expanded to domestic cigar shipments and finally overseas shipments? With the impact on S-CHIP revenue, I wouldn't bet against it. To a politician, it's a no-brainer.

John, I'm as plugged into the political scene as you can get and this came in under my radar until a watchdog group I pay to be a member of (and dearly, at that) pointed it out to me today in a round-up of last week's activities in the House. We've done everything we can to get the message out on an emergency basis (and expect a Tweet any second now) with full acknowledgment that the Senate vote won't happen for awhile.

We need to mobilize immediately and fully. This makes a smoking ban look like amateur hour by comparison.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Big O...
My full time day job is for a company that can deliver 45 BILLION faxes / emails in a day without blinking hard...

I'm ready to use my account (at 'cost') to send one to every house and senate office fax machine and email address we can get our hands on.... every day for the next month if necessary.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
spiny norman
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Not to be a Nervous Nelly here, but with the creation of a Tobacco Enforcement Unit (as this bill requires), how long do you think it will be before overseas interdictments outstrip domestic ones?

The camel's nose is in the tent. How long do you think it will be before the mandate is expanded to domestic cigar shipments and finally overseas shipments? With the impact on S-CHIP revenue, I wouldn't bet against it. To a politician, it's a no-brainer.
They wrote it in the introduction.

Quote:
The U. S. House of Representatives has just passed the PACT (cigarette trafficking) Act “To prevent tobacco smuggling, to ensure the collection of all tobacco taxes, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Weiner, Anthony D. [NY-9] (introduced 3/23/2009)”