Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Carl,

Where you been? Haven't seen you in a while. Nice to have you back.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #32
Breech
Club Member

I have a buddy who smokes in his garage (space heater when cold, blah, blah, blah), and he put a pretty big exhaust fan in. He cut through his wall, and the outside of the fan has louvers on it.... Anyway, that damn thing will suck out smoke like all hell, and when he wants to do it even quicker, he cracks a garage door like 3 inches, and it's very powerful....

He was also wise enough to place it at about head level on the wall, and it seems to pull more smoke.... I would imagine that you have an exterior wall somewhere in that room. And depending on your electrician capabilites, you can wire it in yourself or hire someone....

j

PS Definitely concentrate on removing butts etc.... My god does that make a huge difference. And I am a garage smoker too (even ran cable out there), so the smell isn't of major concern, but I always open the door after I am done in the winter.... During the summer it is open....

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #33
DraKhen99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breech View Post
I have a buddy who smokes in his garage (space heater when cold, blah, blah, blah), and he put a pretty big exhaust fan in. He cut through his wall, and the outside of the fan has louvers on it.... Anyway, that damn thing will suck out smoke like all hell, and when he wants to do it even quicker, he cracks a garage door like 3 inches, and it's very powerful....

He was also wise enough to place it at about head level on the wall, and it seems to pull more smoke.... I would imagine that you have an exterior wall somewhere in that room. And depending on your electrician capabilites, you can wire it in yourself or hire someone....

j

PS Definitely concentrate on removing butts etc.... My god does that make a huge difference. And I am a garage smoker too (even ran cable out there), so the smell isn't of major concern, but I always open the door after I am done in the winter.... During the summer it is open....
Yeah, I have a screened-in porch as well (it was there when we bought the home, but poorly thought-out in its construction - as is, not suitable for 4-seasons smoking), and most of the time I empty out the ashtrays after an evening of smoking stogies there. If I don't, my wife comes outside and is bothered by the smell of stale butts.

I also smoke in my vehicles, but am vigilant about not leaving any butts inside the vehicles. That, and a good Febreezing once a quarter keeps complaints down from passengers

-John

"He found the edge of the Cigar Cliff and just JUMPED off" - My friend, in reference to my quick escalation from non-smoker to cigar aficianado.
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #34
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

using carpet cleaner on the interior roof and carpet helps squelch cigar odors in cars

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #35
DraKhen99

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
using carpet cleaner on the interior roof and carpet helps squelch cigar odors in cars
Yeah, no worries there - I have a system that works quite well for myself and friends:

1. Don't leave cigar butts in the vehicle.
2. Vacuum
3. Leather cleaner/conditioner on leather surfaces
4. Plastic/vinyl cleaner on plastic/vinyl surfaces
5. Close all windows, sunroof, doors, and Febreeze carpets, park in the sun.
6. Wait 2 hours, then open the windows and let air out for 2 hours.
7. Clean smell

-John

"He found the edge of the Cigar Cliff and just JUMPED off" - My friend, in reference to my quick escalation from non-smoker to cigar aficianado.
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #36
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Removing cigar butts is essential, whether at home or in a car. In a car, the best way to keep the odor out is to smoke with the driver's side window cracked and blast the heat from the floor. This creates an extremely powerful air current and all the smoke is sucked right out the window. It's more difficult to do this in the the warmer months and it doesn't work the same with a/c.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #37
CJ3
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Carl,

Where you been? Haven't seen you in a while. Nice to have you back.
I lurk more than I post, lately. You ever order any of those Mr. B Candella's I suggested? (excuse the thread jack)
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #38
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3 View Post
I lurk more than I post, lately. You ever order any of those Mr. B Candella's I suggested? (excuse the thread jack)
I'm glad to hear that you are around, even if you're just lurking.

I have not tried the Mr. B Candella's yet, but I did get the JR Alt Ashton Dbl Mag that you recommended. I like them. I'll get around to getting the Mr. B's, but I'm holding off on buying anything because I am expecting a big shipment from grtrx. I want to make sure I have room in my humi.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

In my man cave, I installed a cheap bathroom exhaust fan from the Home Depot, but it wouldn't pull any air at all. So I went to other extreme and re purposed a high capacity vent fan from the top of a data cabinet. It moves so much air that it outruns the window unit I have to cool the place off. It gets rid of the smoke but it also gets rid of the cool air so I have to run it in short bursts. That's not all bad because it's loud as hell too.

There are tons of options out there if you're creative with re purposing and handy enough to do some of the work yourself. Old cook top vent hoods, fart fans, computer cabinet cooling fans, or anything that moves air. Part of the enjoyment of my old man cave was finding junk that could put to good use in it.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #40
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin View Post
Smoke has a notorious disregard for curtains.

Seal the air return
Seal the door
Install an exhaust unit of some kind
Be meticulous about disposing of ash and butts
Use the filter to pick up what's left of the scent when you're done
This.