Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Bernie*C

My Mac Baren HH Mature Virginia arrived yesterday and I've smoked two bowls. If you're a smoker of straight Virginias, I think it has real promise. I was a bit disappointed that it was very moist coming out of the tin. It does bear a very close resemblance to aged McClelland 5100; a tobacco for which I've been hunting. I made the mistake of smoking the first bowl without allowing the tobacco to dry for a bit. As I progressed through that first smoke, it sounded like I'd reached bottom of the paper cup, while sipping a Slurpee with a straw. For the second bowl, I removed enough tobacco from the tin for a bowl or two, and allowed it to air dry for a couple of hours. It was a far superior smoke, though still a bit damp. I should add that neither bowl presented any tongue bite.

At the sale price from knoxcigar.com($9.87 per 3.5 oz. tin), this tobacco computes to about $45.00 a pound. At its MSRP ($17.98 per tin) it's $82.00 per pound; not what I'd consider a value pricepoint. Considering that I've been buying 5100 for $28.78 a pound at http://www.outwesttobacco.com/Bulk_McClelland.htm I have to give real thought to buying Mac Baren HH Mature Virginia in the future, unless the sale price continues.
Bernie*C is offline   Reply With Quote