Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
cigarreviews
Starting Member

Padilla Series '68 (Under $5/stk!)

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Cuban-seed Corojo

Filler: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan (Jalapa and Condega)

Strength: Medium-Full

Price: Box of 20, $99.95

Grade: 9.1

The final cigar released in honor of Ernesto Padilla’s poet father, the Series ’68 commemorates the year Herberto was arrested for speaking publicly against Castro; 1968 is also the year Herberto published his controversial work on the same matter as his arrest. This is the only cigar in the tribute line that was hand-rolled in Honduras. The Padilla Series 1932 honored Herberto’s birth and the 1948 honored the publication of his first book of poetry, Las Rosas Audaces, at only 16 years old.

This is another review from our friend Chris, who continues to empty his humidor in celebration of the recent birth of his son. So, let’s see how he describes his toasting.

Pre-light, 1.8:
This ’68 Robusto was very smooth to the touch with minimal veins, a nice density, and no soft spots. The head was capped well and the foot was a nice, even and full circle. This stick had been in my humidor for around 14 months and the skin looked to have taken on a thin sheet of plume. The pre-light aroma had an earthy smell with the slightest bit of sweetness at the foot.

Burn, 1.9:
The burn on the Series ’68 was excellent. The ash held great through the first third of the smoke before I knocked it off. The draw was spot on and the exhale emitted some nice, thick smoke. The ’68 did require one touch up toward the beginning, but I believe this was due to being a bit wet from over humidification.

Flavor, 2.6:
The ’68 didn’t pack quite the punch I was hoping for. It didn’t have many transitions though it was rather consistent. There was spice up front, but this quickly mellowed out to an earthy to hay taste. I would have loved to have the spice return but it never came back. The ’68 was consistently smooth, the transitions were subtle, and the ’68 also had a texture to it that I haven’t quite identified yet.

Overall, 2.8:
Getting right to it, at $5 a smoke this Series ’68 is most definitely box worthy. The appearance is clean, the burn is razor sharp, and, though the flavor could stand some complexity, this is an excellent value. I’ll keep an eye open for a Padilla sampler, as I’ve also enjoyed the ’32.

(Total: 9.1)