Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

1997 La Finca Pyramides

Pre-light:
A 7x49 Pyramides, Colorado Maduro, coarse, veiny, rough texture wrapper with a medium smoothness cap/head and a firm bunch. Definitely not a very attractive looking cigar.

Cold draw is slightly tight, but seems to have decent airflow, so no draw tool was used.

Setting is in my favorite, nicely padded, spot on the bench swing in the mostly glass enclosed smoke shack with my My Father ashtray and a view of the snowcapped Black Hills Mountains.

Beverage is plain water.

Weather is 50 degrees and sunny with 36% humidity.

Smoking:
Even burn with a conical coal, with a white colored, typical structure ash. Two small cracks in the brittle wrapper appeared early on and the wrapper peeled just the slightest bit.

Draw was perfect, aroma faint and plain, with no burn in the throat.

Flavor was of weak richness, one dimensional balance, mild strength and thin body, with a weak, musty, grassy, metallic taste.

No sweetness or saltiness, but light bitterness, medium sharpness and a medium burn on the tongue.

Summary Comments:
Overall character was lackluster, of thin body, and simply a dog rocket.

Either was never more than a dog rocket to start with, or long since had passed it’s prime.

Only reason I didn’t pitch it after the first third was because I was reviewing it, so I gutted through to the end.

Final score: 46 out of 100

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

https://forums.cigarweekly.com/showt...23#post2828823
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
bipolar
Club Member

Took one for the team!
Old 11-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
Lew
Starting Member

Hey ! 46 …. Right now that’s more favorable than Trump or Biden.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

When I was a newbie smoker, in the late 90's, I smoked my fair share of la fincas, and other house brands. Its' these guys here at Cigar Weekly that, through their amazing generosity, bombed me so hard with cigars that I got to grow my palate. I'm sure a la finca would feel thin, especially a well aged one, to me today.

I also remember writing my first reviews for Cigar Magazine!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #6
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
When I was a newbie smoker, in the late 90's, I smoked my fair share of la fincas, and other house brands. Its' these guys here at Cigar Weekly that, through their amazing generosity, bombed me so hard with cigars that I got to grow my palate. I'm sure a la finca would feel thin, especially a well aged one, to me today.

I also remember writing my first reviews for Cigar Magazine!
I'm confident that it would taste more than "thin". It would taste like complete crap.
This is probably the worst tasting cigar I've ever had.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #7
bipolar
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Hey ! 46 …. Right now that’s more favorable than Trump or Biden.
LMAO!!!
Old 11-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #8
Lew
Starting Member

Cigar Magazine was an attempt to actually tell people the truth about the value they were receiving for their money..... but the manufacturers and importers more or less boycotted the magazine because there was no upside to advertising in it. Ads did not have anything to do with the ratings because only consumers could cast their opinions and an outside accounting firm tabulated the results.
It was one of the great disappointments of my career and an enormous waste of millions of dollars. Had I not made the magazine I coulda retired early and wealthy...... oooh! wait a minute.... I did !
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:27 AM   #9
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Cigar Magazine was an attempt to actually tell people the truth about the value they were receiving for their money..... but the manufacturers and importers more or less boycotted the magazine because there was no upside to advertising in it. Ads did not have anything to do with the ratings because only consumers could cast their opinions and an outside accounting firm tabulated the results.

It was one of the great disappointments of my career and an enormous waste of millions of dollars. Had I not made the magazine I coulda retired early and wealthy...... oooh! wait a minute.... I did !
@Lew

Never heard of the magazine before. Must have been stopped before I got into cigars.

Sounds like a great magazine though being completely free of bias and was driven solely by cigar smokers.

Too bad there really isn't anything like it currently that I'm aware of, with the possible exception of Cigar Weekly's online magazine. I'm ashamed to admit that I have never checked it out.

Will rectify that today.

Last edited by smbauerllc; 11-05-2021 at 05:30 AM.