Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #21
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
About ten years ago, someone in the cigar business that knows their shit told me their most EXPENSIVE cigar (at the time a 10-12 buck smoke) cost about 3 bucks to make, all in. THAT'S why I don't smoke expensive cigars.

Bundles for me have been pretty consistent through the years. Good ones are, well, good, and the shitty ones, well, they're shitty.

I smoke a LOT of the Casa De Garcia bundles. Maduro, Natural, Nicaraguan...they always deliver for 25.00 a bundle.
If I had to guess, most cigars...even the most expensive cigars are under a dollar to make. Not that there aren't other cost to get them to our door. There is a reason that they hand roll very few in the US. They only need to pay a few dollars a day for a someone to roll a hundred or more a day.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #22
gui_tarzan
Herf God

I rarely buy a box, typically I get bundles or samplers or seconds.

As far as the bundles go, yes, I have seen a steep decline in quality of FdOs, mostly burn problems, and Victor Sinclairs aren't nearly as good as they were a few years ago. Gran Habanos were good a few years ago but they don't have enough spice for me anymore.

Samplers are my favorites because they usually have a mix of top end and lower end brands so it's a cheap way for me to get the really good stuff. And normally the lower end sticks in those samplers aren't too bad.

Seconds are marketed as either "we made way too many" (bull****) or they are not as aesthetically pleasing as the ones that go into boxes. I couldn't care less (used in correct grammatical form) about a patch here and there, sun spots, large swings in color, a few veins, whatever. They're no different than the #1s with the ones I have purchased in my opinion. If they are different, I can't tell.

A couple of types of low end cigars I will never purchase again are Fumas or Cuban-sandwich. I hate shrapnel, period.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #23
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
If I had to guess, most cigars...even the most expensive cigars are under a dollar to make. Not that there aren't other cost to get them to our door. There is a reason that they hand roll very few in the US. They only need to pay a few dollars a day for a someone to roll a hundred or more a day.
IIRC, someone with deep insider knowledge of the industry once said no cigar costs more than two bucks to make. May have been Lew, may have been Saka, but I don't know for sure. In any case, that sounds about right to me.

And to the point of the thread, yes, I've seen a decline in the quality of "value cigars" lately. The bundle of "Alec Bradley 90+ Rated Seconds" lanceros (seconds of Tempus Creo) I've been working on has been disappointing...impossible to keep lit. Oh well, so it goes with the cheapos...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:14 AM   #24
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
IIRC, someone with deep insider knowledge of the industry once said no cigar costs more than two bucks to make. May have been Lew, may have been Saka, but I don't know for sure. In any case, that sounds about right to me.

And to the point of the thread, yes, I've seen a decline in the quality of "value cigars" lately. The bundle of "Alec Bradley 90+ Rated Seconds" lanceros (seconds of Tempus Creo) I've been working on has been disappointing...impossible to keep lit. Oh well, so it goes with the cheapos...
Yet a recent find such as the Nicaraguan Ligero Laced 2nds have been a revelation. Cain 2nds at under 2 bucks a pop.

I've had luck with the Man O War 2nds
Famous House Brands - the Famous NK3 are awesome. I have no doubt that some old favorites lose a little luster either through quality or changing taste. But there are plenty of really great inexpensive quality smokes out there. I'm a huge fan of Oliva, you can buy nearly every smoke they make as a second from cigars international. You just have to know the name.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 AM   #25
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
Yet a recent find such as the Nicaraguan Ligero Laced 2nds have been a revelation. Cain 2nds at under 2 bucks a pop.

I've had luck with the Man O War 2nds
Famous House Brands - the Famous NK3 are awesome. I have no doubt that some old favorites lose a little luster either through quality or changing taste. But there are plenty of really great inexpensive quality smokes out there. I'm a huge fan of Oliva, you can buy nearly every smoke they make as a second from cigars international. You just have to know the name.
That's its own thread And there's likely one already.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:17 AM   #26
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

There are a lot of factors that go into cost of production and sale, such as the cost of land, tobacco, equipment, labor, development and ADVERTISING. It's no coincidence that the cigars in full color ads in Cigar Aficionado are amongst the highest priced cigars.

As with any product, cigars are sold at the highest price they can sell for. If they can only sell for $2 that's where they are priced. If they can get $20 per stick then that's what they are going to be priced at.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #27
Wankel
Herf God

Glad I stocked up on about a million Consuegras back around 2000...
Old 02-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #28
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel View Post
Glad I stocked up on about a million Consuegras back around 2000...
Very smart move.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote