Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Davidoff box pressed Nicaragua toro

Davidoff box pressed Nicaragua toro

Hit my local brick and mortar for some butane and stumbled into their humidor. I was looking for anything from crowned heads including their yellow rose that is only released in Texas...alas the salesman said they did not carry that line. I then asked about the new Davidoff Winston blend and picked up a toro at which time the salesman said they had just received the Nicaragua box pressed line. I bit, and grabbed the first one outta the box also in the toro size.

It is a nice looking smoke with a smooth toothless wrapper. Box press is obvious. Looking at the foot the bunch was a little loose but at around 17$ a stick I would rather have that than a tent peg. Clipped it with the Palio and it had a nice pre light taste of leather and earth. The burn was off a little due to the fact it was windy on the outdoor man cave but each draw proved effortless and produced a good amount of nice smelling smoke.

The first third was pretty straight forward with leather and earth dominating the retro hale with maybe a bit of cedar. It was maybe a medium body smoke for me at this point of the cigar. Very enjoyable for sure on this 78 degree central Texas overcast day.

Second third of the cigar was as well balanced as the first third. No one flavor was dominate and each retro hale proved to be a little different than the last. The finish of each draw lasted awhile and seems a bit brighter on the backend of the exhale. Almost like there is some sort of fruit sweetness...but it's just not that noticeable. I will say that I have had to relight the cigar two times now and I don't think it was due to the wind as the burn straightened out, it must be due to the fact that my sample is under filled. Not a deal breaker but worth a mention.

Last third that brightness has subdued and the leather and earth came back with a bit more bite. I also am tasting some cedar again and the strength of the cigar seems to be building. This cigar leaves a nice aftertaste in your mouth and makes you want to take another pull. Not boring at all!

Bottom line, I would buy a box and or more singles but at this price point we start to wonder into realm of larger format Cuban cigars for the same money. This a fine cigar maybe even a special occasion smoke for some. Worth the money and time for sure

Sent from my iPad
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Intriguing. In close to 20 years of cigar smoking I have never had a Davidoff of any sort. Might have to look around for one here one of these days soon. I agree that $17 a stick is pretty steep for a domestic cigar.

Nice review, BTW. You mind if I mark it up for publication?

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Intriguing. In close to 20 years of cigar smoking I have never had a Davidoff of any sort. Might have to look around for one here one of these days soon. I agree that $17 a stick is pretty steep for a domestic cigar.

Nice review, BTW. You mind if I mark it up for publication?
Sure....I just try and write what I am tasting and not ramble on lol. Sorry I didn't take more pix.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
jgbutler
Herf Meister

Nice review Mike. I bought two of these when we were in San Antonio. I also thought it was a very enjoyable smoke and would definitely stock up on them if it weren't for the price point. These were two of only a handful of Davidoff cigars that I have ever smoked.

Maybe when I get rich and famous!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbutler View Post
Nice review Mike. I bought two of these when we were in San Antonio. I also thought it was a very enjoyable smoke and would definitely stock up on them if it weren't for the price point. These were two of only a handful of Davidoff cigars that I have ever smoked.

Maybe when I get rich and famous!
Thanks man!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

I tweeted this out and 98 views already!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
Perietta Migranté
Starting Member

Davidoff Box Pressed Nicaragua Toro

thx for the review Mike. i'm only inclined to purchase cigars above a certain price point if I'm planning to celebrate a special event. maybe 1 day it will be the Davidoff box pressed Nicaragua.

Last edited by Perietta Migranté; 07-10-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Perietta Migranté is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perietta Migranté View Post
thx for the review Mike. i'm only inclined to purchase cigars above a certain price point if I'm planning to celebrate a special event. maybe 1 day it will be the Davidoff box pressed Nicaragua.
You sound like you've been a part of CW for years.
MANY of us think this way.

Mike, I missed this review when you first wrote it, well done.
I've had Davidoff's Puro d'Oro, I got them from Michael Herklots before he left Davidoff for Nat Sherman. They were some of the most refined and elegant cigars I ever smoked, smooth doesn't being to describe them.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perietta Migranté View Post
Welcome to the forums, Perietta!
You'll find a lot of Value Minded cigar folks here in CigarWeekly land!

Catch you back on Twitter!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #10
Bob Dog
Starting Member

Great review! Definitely a cigar I would love to try!
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote