Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

??? For Employees or Owners of Brick & Mortar Tobacconis

Hi all.

As you may or may not know, I began working at Titan Cigar in Gambrills, MD several weeks ago. I have a dilemma that I am attempting to resolve. I am reluctant to post my specific concerns. But suffice it to say that I am attempting to gather sound justification that I can present to the owner in an effort to convince him to reevaluate the manner in which he chooses to operate a few facets of the business.

I would like to pose some questions and pick your brains about these facets in order to help him and the business be more successful. Titan Cigar is doing better than Dave and Michelle's initial expectations as spelled out in their business plan. With the sound reasoning and logic that can be gained from those of you already entrenched in the business of selling cigars, I hope that I can convince him of a few adjustments that he should make that will enhance the opportunities of Titan Cigar.

I recognize your wisdom based upon past experiences and the knowledge that you have gathered since working at your respective places of business.

If you consider answering my request, please PM me and include an email where I can communicate these issues with you directly. I would sincerely appreciate any responses.

I will not discuss the details or results of any correspondence with any other party or business that may come from any discussions that we might have. I merely wish to ask questions and solicit for advice after explaining the situation to you by email.

Your participation will be greatly appreciated. I hope that you will consider at least responding to find out what questions I wish to discuss as this is only to further the success of another florishing tobacconist that wishes to be successful in catering to our fellow BOTLs and SOTLs.

My Sincerest Thanks,

Bryan

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

I worked in 2 different cigar shops over the years. If you want my input, you can send me a PM. I had alot of ideas for the shops I worked at, some good, some not so good. The owners seemed reluctant to use my advice, but that's their choice.
Smokestack Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
eagle eyes eric
Herf Meister

Bryan - what are the questions? You never know what kind of great business ideas some of the individuals on here might come up with
Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

Whatever suggestions you decide upon ensure you take a step back and see the entire scope of the business and the industry and how this relates to your perception of what needs changing. Understand the second and third order of effect each decision will manifest. Good luck!

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
mealstrom
Herf Meister

Also, understand that you will be telling them how to run their business. Your ideas might be the best in the world and perfectly logical - but to him it will probably still feel like you telling him how to raise his child. I've learned to make the suggestion, then step back and deal with their decisions for their business.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

Gentlemen,

All great thoughts and in truth, all have been considered.

What I am trying to do is provide the information and data that will back up my points of contention. And these points of contention are not based on my beliefs. They are based, to the best of my knowledge on what are industry practices. I have done my research and I am certain that I know the answer to my questions because it is practiced industry-wide.

The information that I am looking to present must be backed by other tobacconists that I am certain (based on discussions that I have had with those in the business) also take part in these practices. I must be able to state, "You should seriously consider this because tobacconists A, B, C, and D also follow the same business practice." Therefore, it stands to reason that only those who are in, or have been in the retail cigar business will be able to provide that supporting information that I require.

I truly appreciate the suggestions and thoughts from all.

Bryan
Old 05-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
mealstrom
Herf Meister

It's all so secretive! He must be doing some seriously crazy stuff not to even be mentionable!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
ElkTwin

If he's planning on sneaking a bunch of folks into RTDA with free passes, give him my name.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Torpedo2

One thing that the Party Source does here in the Northern Ky location is a weekly cigar tasting. May not sound like much till when you come for the first time you are also herfin with about 100-150 of some great herfin buddies. It didnt start that way, at first it had 10-20 people show up. But word of mouth spread and 4 years later it's the biggest weekly event in the nation. Great way to keep your best customers coming back again and again......... and having fun, spending money doing it too!

maybe Titan can start something similiar?
Torpedo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

Thanks to those who replied and have volunteered to help me out.

I have emailed some initial questions to those who provided an email address.

I look forward to your replies.

Bryan