Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Probably late to the game here...
2lb stew meat (or a chuck roast cubed, large bits of fat removed)
1lb ground round 85% lean or more

2 poblano peppers
1 green bell
1 red bell
1 jalapeno
1 or 2 large sweet onions
1 large clove garlic
1 tablesp mexican oregano
1 tablesp granulated garlic
Cumin, coriander, ancho chili powder, guahilo chili powder

Season the ground meat, mixing in the oregano, granulated garlic, some salt and pepper, and about a teasp. of ground coriander. Cover and set aside.
Season the cubed meat with salt, pepper, and about a tsp each of cumin, ancho, and guahilo chili powder. mix well to coat, and set aside.

Dice the veggies. I like to cut the spicy peppers really small, the other veg about 1/4 inch cubes. Saute together in a large saute pan with a little olive oil. When they're starting to soften, mix in the fresh garlic (I run it through a garlic press), stir in, and saute another minute - the turn off the heat and set aside.

Put about a tablespoon of olive oil, and then the stew meat into a cast iron dutch oven over medium heat, or, into a slow cooker pre-heated and set to high. Stir until all the meat is browned. Add 1 large can crushed tomatoes, and 1 large can diced tomatoes (and all the juice). Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for half hour or so. Season with some more salt, and add half a bottle of your favorite stout beer - helps cut the tomato acid. Stir and cover.

Add the rest of the veggies after another 15-20 minutes. In the veggie pan, saute the ground meat until cooked. Drain the fat, then add to the big pot. Mix well.

You may want another large can of crushed tomato here if you like your chili on the thnner side. Adjust seasoning to taste with more cumin, ancho, guahillo and of course salt.

When the chunks of beef are just about to break down (you can shred it with your fingers) add 2 cans of red kidney beans (drained and rinsed), and before mixing them in salt them.

Serve with crackers and shredded cheese.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote