Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #34
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

It's called history along with access.

The Dutch have played soccer and done speed skaking for over 100 years. Except for the occasional anomaly (Bert Blyleven) there's not much else to play, except team handball.

The sub-Saharan Africans have played soccer since colonial days in the 1800s. Basketball is taking hold in places like Sengal and Angola, but if you are not 6-10 or above, no one will hear of you.

I drove by Sprayberry HS field today 5-6 times and there were baseball games being played. Go by parks in the inner city and basketball is damn near a 24-7 game.

HS players in the area are already doing drills and training for the upcoming football season.

Now go down streets, parks and vacant lots in places like the Netherlands and Africa and every locale has kids playing soccer. All it takes is a ball. No other equipment is necessary. Not even shoes. Hence the popularity of the game and the skill development.
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote