Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
bsk
Club Member

Consuegra #17 maduro review

While rummaging around in one of my coolers, down at the very bottom of one, I found this old, yellow-cello’d large corona sized maduro. I reached in and pulled it out have a look. It was a Consuegra. I have no idea when I got this thing or how old it might be, but one look told me it had some serious age on it. The cello was past yellow actually, it was damn near brown. OK, I’m gonna have to try this smoke out. So I removed it from the cello and dropped it into the dry-box on Sunday. Wednesday I get it out to give it a go.

Trying to match up the size, it appears that this was a Connie #17. A large corona, almost a robusto or a toro, but not quite. The wrapper was beautiful. A very dark brown with no blemishes. There was a heavy vein running down the one side, but all-in-all, I’d say it was a top notch wrapper. The construction was firm with no hard or soft spots. The pre-light draw was just perfect, with a nice sweet tobacco character. It lit up just fine and produce a large volume of smoke right off the bat. It started off mello and creamy supplying that classic spicy flavor that all Villazon fans (like myself) adore. It stayed that way as it burned down toward the half-way point, absolutely straight, and just a joy to be smoking. At the half-way point there was a sudden jump in strength. Actually, strength isn’t the right word, I would rephrase that by saying the *intensity* increased. The flavors became more pronounced and bold, but the smoke did not develop any harsh or acrid flavors. Oh yeah, this thing was smokin’ just great, a true smoking pleasure. The intensity kept building slowly until I got to about the last inch, when it just became too overpowering for my tastes (but not nasty in any way).

While this cigar was not of the very best I’ve ever toasted, it was one helluva smoke. Bursting with flavor, no harshness, full body, solid construction and a great burn. I sure wish I had a whole bundle of these little jewels.

It’s fun when you find a quality stray like this at the bottom of one of your storage containers.
bsk is offline   Reply With Quote