Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

IPCPR Review: Crowned Heads La Imperiosa

One of the booths I was looking forward to visiting while at the show this year was the Crowned Heads booth. I have enjoyed their products, and especially a fan of the Jericho Hill. Of course my main interest was getting more info on their new release, La Imperiosa, which looked very promising.

The sample they gave me to try was the Corona Gorda 5 3/4 x 46.
The wrapper is Ecuador Habano, Oscuro with Nicaraguan long filler & binder, manufactured at My Father Cigars, S.A., Esteli, Nicaragua.

I really like the appearance of this cigar. The wrapper is a rich dark brown, with an oily finish. The band is rather eye catching, somewhat elegant....a sort of light turquoise blue & gold which stands out well against the dark brown wrapper. The pre-light aroma is somewhat sweet with some hint of coffee and cream.

Lighting up, the first few draws are just a tad tight, but not too bad. I am getting a hit of pepper from the start, but not overpowering.
The strength is a solid medium, with the body pretty much the same.
The first third stays pretty consistent, the pepper remaining steady with a balance of coffee and earthiness.

The second third finds the pepper fading while the coffee and earthiness remain constant along with a sense of toasted almonds.
The burn tends to waver just a bit, but is easily corrected with a quick touch up. The strength and body have both remained at a steady medium, and each draw produces a decent volume of smoke.

The final third....nothing new showing itself at this point. If anything, I would say the previous flavor notes become somewhat muted and there is more of a traditional one dimensional tobacco flavor at this point. The La Imperiosa remains fairly cool to the end as I let the cigar quietly fade away.

I found this cigar to be a pleasant smoke, but at the same time a bit of a let down. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this cigar simply had no "Wow" factor for me. It wasn't bad, but at the same time, nothing to set it apart or have me pause and take notice. If pressed for a score, I'd have to five it 3 out of 5 stars.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
mrdiver
Herf Meister

You know I am a fan also of the Jerry Hill and that size....
Excellent review, Jon. Thanks for sharing and while I'd probably try it, sounds like I'm sticking with "the Hill"!
mrdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiridon View Post
I found this cigar to be a pleasant smoke, but at the same time a bit of a let down. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this cigar simply had no "Wow" factor for me. It wasn't bad, but at the same time, nothing to set it apart or have me pause and take notice. If pressed for a score, I'd have to five it 3 out of 5 stars.
I smoked one last Saturday and had basically the same experience. I thought maybe it was the Sobramesa I had smoked before it, but I guess maybe not...

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

You guys are so used to smoking nuclear missiles, so, this is probably right about my wheelhouse!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Oh, it had good strong flavors, it was just not as complex as the sobramesa I had had immediately before. Make no mistake, it is a very good cigar.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:02 AM   #6
spiridon
Herf God

I gotta get my hands on one of those sobramesas, sounds NICE!