Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #1
punchme
Club Member

This recipe is from the book Clone Brews. This book, and it's brother Beer Captured (http://www.beercaptured.com/) are by a couple of home brewers with a store near me. The walls of the store are covered with blue ribbons. They have traveled Europe for years collecting and perfecting their recipes. Their web site is www.maltose.com.

If you have a question about their recipes or need advice on tweaking it they are happy to help over the phone. They will also package and ship the ingredients for any recipe.

I highly recommend any home brewer include this book in your library.

Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery, Tadcaster, England

Samuel Smith Old Brewery was the first to revive the forgotten Oatmeal Stout style by bringing it back to life in the I 980s The dense lacy head is light broum with fine bubbles. The rich aroma is dominated by roasted malt, fruit, and butterscotch. The very smooth and silky taste balances mild hop bitterness and bittersweet malt for a complex medium dry palate.

Yield; 5 gallons (18.9 L)
Final gravity: 1.010-1.013
SRM 68
Original gravity: 1.048—1.051
IBU 30
4.8% alcohol by volume

On a cookie sheet spread out:
1/2 lb. (.23 kg) flaked oats

Place the sheet in an oven and heat to 325°F (162.7°C). Leave the oats in the oven for 75 minutes, turning the oats every 15 minutes. Pour the oats into a brew pot and steep them in 1 gallon (3.8 L) of 150°F (65.5°C) water for 20 minutes along with:
1/2 lb. (.23 kg) 55°L British crystal malt
1/2 lb. (.23 kg) British chocolate malt
3 oz. (85 g) roasted barley

Strain the grain water into your brew pot Sparge the grains with ½ gallon (1.9 L) water at 150°F (65.5°C). Add water to the brew pot for 1.5 gallons (5.7 L) total volume. Bring the water to a boil, remove the pot from the stove, and add:
5.75 lb. (2.6 kg) M&F light DME
2 oz. (57 g) East Kent Goldings @ 4.25% AA (8.5 HBU)
(bittering hop)

Add water until total volume in the brew pot is 2.5 gallons (9 L). After 50 minutes of the boil add:
1 tsp. (5 ml) Irish moss

Boil for 10 minutes, remove pot from the stove, and cool for 15 minutes. Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 gallons (18.9 L). When the wort temperature is under 80°F (26,6°C), pitch your yeast,
Wyeast’s 1084 Irish ale yeast

Ferment in the primary fermenter at 68—74°F [20—23°C] 5—7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter. Bottle when fermentation is complete with:
1¼ cup (300 ml) M&F wheat DME

Serve in a mug at 55°F (13°C).

Mini-mash Method: Mash 2 lb. (.9 kg) British 2-row pale malt and the specialty grains at 150°F (65.5°C) for 90 minutes. Then follow the extract recipe omitting 2.25 lb. (1 kg) DME at the beginning of the boil.

All-grain Method: Mash 7.5 lb. (3.4 kg) British 2-row pole malt with the specialty groins at 150°F (65.5°C) for 90 minutes. Add 6.5 HBU (24% less than the extract recipe) of bittering hops for 90 minutes of the boil. Add the Irish moss for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

"How about a nice Habana Punch!"
Then I asked myself, WCWTWD?

Edited by - punchme on 01/18/2002 11:25:33 AM

Edited by - punchme on 01/18/2002 11:28:50 AM