Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
knife
Club Member

Bose PAS for musicians

Anybody know about this thing? That big tower that's supposed to replace your PA and your monitor system?

I've never been a big Bose fan, but some tell me this thing is great.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
chopperny
Starting Member

When I worked at Guitar Center here in Albany we sold them. This was around 2004 so I don't know if they've changed at all since them, but overall they are great depending on the use. They worked best for small acoustic performances, especially for a solo act using vocal and an acoustic guitar. There's lots more to say though, what would you like to know?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
knife
Club Member

I would use this
1) as an acoustic/slide guitar and vocal solo setup
2) as a small PA for a panel of speakers
3) as a sound system for my Roland V-Drums

I know it should work very good for 1, but I'm worried about feedback on 2, and lack of bass and integration with the house PA on 3.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
chopperny
Starting Member

The biggest problem for both 2 & 3 is it's lack of bass. Even if you attach two of the option subwoofers (you should get one sub for option 1) the bass lacks for bass guitar or drum amplification in my opinion. We did sell a few systems to Wedding DJ's etc. , however they added large subwoofers like the powered mackie SWA1501 or SWA1801. They also purchased two units to perform in stereo. Feedback is an issue with multiple inputs. It had a two input mixer with preset feedback elimination/eq for a select number of microphones and guitars(would be an issue with option 1 also).

I just looked them up online and it looks like they've added a module to help tune the system to many more setups, the T1 tonematch module. I am unfamiliar with this as it was not available when I sold them.

Your best bet is either:

i)Make a full fledged test run in the store. At guitar center, we used to allow people to test out the system with their exact setup to see if it would work as a possible audio solution.

ii)Check the return policy of your local dealer and discuss with them a trial purchase. Take it into the real world and see if it works. If I remember correctly Bose made us honor their maybe 90 day satisfaction guarantee. Check Bose's website and see they still offer that guarantee. This option is the best to really see if it will work, but you have to shell out the money while testing. Also, if the system doesn't work out you end up finding out the bad way at a gig.

If you do end up with a system, it is important to note that when they heat up they give of an unusual odor for at least the first few uses. We were told this was normal and was caused by chemicals used in manufacturing of the electronics in China which are not against environmental protection laws as they are here in the US.

Summary: Sounds great for content which is bright and clear. Lacks in bass unless supplemented. Remember my opinions are based on experience within the first ~6 months of their availability.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
knife
Club Member

Thanks.

I dunno what the big difference with the 2nd generation of these things is, other than the easy interface with their fx module.

I think I may try it for the 45 day trial.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
knife
Club Member

Well, I got it for the 45 day trial.

It goes back on Wednesday.

I love easy setup, but the lack of bass response (and Bose's response to this was to add more bass modules, at $299 a piece) killed it.

Noble experiment, though.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
mannish
Herf God

I have tried various things like that but I always go back to a PA system.

They may work for some but I just never get out of it what I want