Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
BigCubano

B&M guys dont know about beads??

I went the cohiba store yesterday to pick up a couple sticks to hold me over before my online orders come in and i see Madelaine's Humidifier Crystals and I ask the guys working there if those crystals are similar to beads. The guy said "This is for use in your humidor". I was like " No shit, but are they like beads?" ::blank stare from both guys:: "y'know, like the Heartfelt Beads" ::blank stare:: "we have no idea what you're talking about". Then after mentioning i setup a coolerdor, the one guy said coolerdors arent suitable for cigar storage. Ummm, i dont think ill be going back there. On the plus side the one guy recommended a Punch Gran Puro, which was pretty
BigCubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
PCaponi
Herf Cop
Herf Meister

I'm suprised that they would not know, but then again. maybe they just don't carry them in their inventory. If not, they wouldn't promote them becuase they would lose money by not selling their products.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Some people aren't internet savvy. They think the market is tiny so they don't pay attention to it. I'm pretty sure beads are strictly internet.

This is where it's at!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
56Tweed

I agree that it is primarily an Internet thing at this point. For some reason B&Ms are stuck using specific distributors that don't carry many of the products we buy.

There is a good B&M by me, but they know nothing about beads. They even had trouble getting good fuel when the main company they used went out of business. It was nearly a year before they could get Vector or another quality fuel back in.

Mike
56Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
KatDad
Herf God

One of the classic signs of a B & M that might be a fine merchant, but he is just a merchant. The really good ones are merchants who are also cigar/tobacco guys!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
FSUScotsman
Herf God

I don't think most b&m guys have one clue about coolers, or want to. They don't sell all that many boxes and those that they do go in humidors that they sold. The only b&ms that have a clue seem to also have websites.
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist!!!!
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
dylanh
Club Member

A lot of B&M guys don't now a lot of things (with exceptions of course). When I bought my first humidor from a B&M the owner carefully explained how I should fill a spray bottle with distilled water and soak the inside of the box down good and then let the distilled water puddle in the bottom and leave it like that for a few days to season...

Luckily I've always been the type of person to double check what so called experts tell me. This site has been particularly helpful in that regard.

"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way."

- Robert Frost

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

- Bob Dylan

"Hell is boiling over. Heaven is full. We're chained to the world....and we've all got to pull."

-Tom Waits
dylanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
SmoKerch
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanh
... When I bought my first humidor from a B&M the owner carefully explained how I should fill a spray bottle with distilled water and soak the inside of the box down good and then let the distilled water puddle in the bottom and leave it like that for a few days to season...
Sounds like he was grooming you to sell you a second, replacement humidor.
Yeesh, can you say "mold farm", or perhaps, "major warpage" ?

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
Viper139

The beads are in a few B&Ms but not alot yey...and I do say yet...they will learn.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
BigCubano

you guys have great points and i totally get what you guys are saying but it just seems to me that a good BnM guy would do some research on his business.
BigCubano is offline   Reply With Quote