Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2002, 05:57 PM   #1
Kristine
Club Member

Although I woke up Friday morning exhausted from partaking of too much wine at a longtime friend's Thanksgiving dinner, I was bright eyed and ready to go ... today was the Post Turkey Day Crawl. PTDC is a special day for me because it's my anniversary in herfing with these DFW Irregulars! After a shower, figuring out what to wear (including which shoes to wear ), and getting ready, I mentally checked off things done on my to do list: cigars - check; fill lighter with Lava - check; put lighter and cutter in purse - check; grab raffle tickets - check; lipstick - check; compact - check; sunglasses - check; car keys - check! I was ready to go.

I walked into Pugsley's Library and was overwhelmed with the aroma of cigar smoke. As my eyes adjusted to the dimness of the restaurant, I saw no less than 40 cigar smokers talking, smoking, drinking, and/or eating. I immediately had a huge smile on my face. This is one of the herfs I look forward to immensely, and it had begun!

I walked over and (I think) took some unlucky person's, who was either getting foods or another libation, chair. Mango Joe, as has become our ritual at every PTDC, bought my first drink ... a perfect Bloody Mary. Frank handed me a beautiful H. Upmann Monarch Habano en tubos from CigarBaron, and I was feeling a little overwhelmed. Lots of hellos, hugs, and handshakes were happening. Donna waved hello, and came over to give me good news ... she and another ASCer announced their engagement! I was thrilled for them. Then, after sitting down again, CigarBaron came over and gave me a big kiss ... on behalf of another ASCer who couldn't attend, then gave me a big kiss on the mouth ... from him! After chatting it up with Chris, Joe, and Paul, and the herf was well underway, and I was starved!! One Angus burger later, I was a much happier camper. My Dip #4 was a perfect complement to lunch, and the spicy Bloody Mary.

Everyone in attendance got a ticket from the folks at Pugsley's, and I'll be damed if I didn't win the first prize (and what would ultimately be my only winnings of the day ... dammit!). A nice Jim Beam golf shirt. Pugsley's proffered a nice bottle of Jim Beam Black for all of us to taste. . Then, after lots of others won more prizes, it was time to head to our first crawl stop.

We all pile in our respective vehicles, and head over to Tobacco Gallery, where Bobby, Paul, and Chris rolled out the proverbial red carpet. Free Joya de Nicaraguas and a sample of their Nicaraguan Private Label ... both wonderful cigars. Lots of libations available for the asking, compliments of Tobacco Gallery. After perusing through the humidor and gathering up a few lovelies (CAO Criollos, Camacho H2s, another Joya da Nic, and a Padron Anni), I made my way out to stand in the heck of a long line of herfers buying up their goodies. Then it was outside for a soda and fresh air. And then the games began. Tom Poehler and his brother were there to pass out a few give aways and prizes. The game -- the "Turkey Trot" ... initiated by Scott at TG. What in the heck is the Turkey Trot you ask? As one observer put it: "The contestants had to walk like turkeys through the slightly upper-crust shopping plaza and return to the store. The Starbucks gang was plastered to the glass gawking at the scene of "Cigar Turkeys" vying for some of the fabulous prizes." I couldn't stop laughing ... it was hilarious!! Then it was back inside for a photo op inside the humidor. Can't wait to see how they turned out. Should be another great pic.

Then it was off to the next crawl stop, Addison Cigar & Tobacco. (I had to sneak away to put in an hour or so of work, so I'm gonna borrow from ASCer Pinturas, for his version of the crawl stop). "Mark and his crew laid out some cold beer and great discounts on mercahndise. We tasted Camacho SLRs..very nice...and Leon Jimenes (choice of Maduro/Natural)..always a quality stick. Once again, Tom Poehler and brothers were around to pass out goodies and join the fun. This time, the contest was the Turkey call and the Santa Ho-Ho variety...."

Then it was on to Matt's No Place for the highlight of the day. Chef and owner Matt Martinez closes down his restaurant to cater just to our group. We had about 60 folks arrive for happy hour, and then dinner. There simply isn't another restaurant in these parts to compare to Matt's ... outstanding service and out of this world food (and the handsome bartender doesn't hurt things either)!

Gumby and Brentmeister saved me and a friend a seat, and we had a delightful time. Laughter was rampant. Ours had to be the best table in the house (if I do say so myself)! Those guys are so terrific. I'm very proud to call them my friends. Dinner consisted of a combination Smoked Bob (wild boar sausage and onions and peppers in a beautiful queso sauce) with Shrimp and a sea corn fritter. (To die for, let me tell you). Followed by a lovely dinner salad with the best vinegarette dressing you've ever had, delicious bread, and then the main course. Elk and quail, with smoked mashed potatoes and simply scrumptious spinach. Capped off by Texas Pecan Pie a la mode. (I'm stuffed just remembering!!).

After dinner, Mango Joe cajoled and coaxed most attendees to purchase additional raffle tickets for our charity, the Salvation Army. Armed with my raffle tickets, I am ready for the games to begin. Gumby won right away ... a Grey Goose cap, and then later, matching golf shirt. Then he won a bundle of CAO Criollos .... I won nada, nothing, zilcho ... but that's okay. We had a ton of prizes. Just to give you an idea, here are some:

Altadis -- box of R&J;
estix.com -- Czonka cigar caddie;
Cuesta Rey/Padron Cigar Shop -- Sancho Non Plus;
Mayorga Coffee -- 2 lbs of Mayorga Coffee;
Torano Cigars -- Exodus Torpedos, Signature Robustos;
JR Cigars -- 3 boxes of Bolivar Fuertes and a Montecristo Humidor;
La Luna --2 bundles of La Luna cigars (one African & the other Maduro);
Caribe -- cabinet of H3s and a box of 11/18s;
Oliva -- O torpedos;
SAG Imports -- box of Cubita SMs and Fonseca Serie R;
Xikar -- Rosewood cutter;
CGARS Ltd -- Choix Supreme;
CAO -- 1 bundle of Criollo, 2 bundles of Brazilians, 5 hats and 3 t shirts;
SW Marketing -- 2 boxes of La Aurora Private Blend, 1 box Baccarat, a CAO Humidor, a Cigar Jar and a box of Puros Indios.

Holy smokes that's a lot of prizes!!!! All in all, we raised approximately $1700 for our charity, the Salvation Army.

After the raffle, many folks began to leave. As usual, it was Mowee, Rob, Mango Joe and his lovely wife, and I seated around the bar long after everyone had left. Mowee needed the rest, after choreographing all of this fabulous crawl. He is simply amazing. Thanks again, my friend, for giving up so much of your personal time and energy to make this one of the best cigar crawls in the country. I love ya, man!!

It's another PTDC for the books. Our 5th year, and it was the best ... my 3rd year to participate, and they just get better and better.

I look forward to Thanksgiving mostly because of PTDC. It was wonderful to see so many great folks ... and boy did I get lots of kisses!! And one from Reverand Jim, too!! It was great fun ... 12 hours of non-stop cigar smoking, herfing, and crawling.

T minus 364 days and counting. Make plans to attend next year's crawl NOW! You will not regret it.

Edited by - kristine on 11/30/2002 7:03:31 PM

"Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control."
~ Tom Landry

Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote