Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #41
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

That is truly amazing work brother. 👍🏼👍🏼

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #42
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I used the self adhesive felt to cover the lid strips. It is very easy to use. I think it worked pretty well! I'm going to put a cedar liner in the center after I've finished the body and have checked the fit. If I have to take anything apart later I want it to be simple.

Lid strips installed:

xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #43
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I cleaned up the copper cover seal strips that go in the body. They came out pretty good considering there was old varnish slopped on them. There's some dings but they are no big deal.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #44
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I've reached the point where I think the copper sheet bottom is as good as it's going to get with the tools and materials I have on hand. If I'm going to use more of this stuff I probably need some basic metal working tools and a power polishing rig of some sort. What you see I basically did by hand. I tried to knock the dings out with a hammer and some oak for backing. It kinda worked. Now I have shallow little hammer dings instead big ones. I wet sanded all the crud off and polished it mostly by hand. So there is still some micro scratching. It looks pretty good. Most of the defects probably won't show. Even so, I'm debating getting the right tools and doing more. I'm not sure the cost justifies what I will get out of it. Gotta consider this for a bit.

Here it is. Hard to see any problems without moving it around in the light.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #45
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I put the copper sheet in the bottom of the humidor body. I think it's going to look really good in there!
I've been taking a break considering my next moves. I don't have cedar to waste so I have to make all the right cuts. The liner will go pretty fast. The tray and humidifier are always the most persnickety pieces. I'll get on it soon.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #46
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

You are teuly an artist. 👍🏼
My birthday is October lol

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #47
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I did some work today. It's been awhile since I cut some wood so I made more than few mistakes. But I never waste anything. I make trays and humidifiers out of mistake wood.
I got the cedar interior panels fitted and the copper lid strips in place. Also note the copper bottom. Looks pretty good to me! The biggest problem is that the box is no longer completely square. So it's pretty much impossible to get all the seams to line up perfectly. This is actually a pretty good result.
I also test fitted the lid. Seems okay. I cut and glued a piece of cedar in that. I will use some 1/8" cedar to make a nice framing detail for that and then I will fit the lid and rest a couple weights on top to get the felt to settle in nice and snug on the copper strips.
And I need to take the interior panels out to make a couple tray runners. I had to put it all together to see what kind of fit and clearance I have for a tray.

Okay, here's the pic:

Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #48
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I made some tray runners. Because the copper seals jut over the interior panels a bit I had to make them extra wide. I used some scrap oak and screwed them in place leaving the finish nude. I'll make the tray to fit tightly withing the seal strips and up to the top lip. Should look pretty good.
I also framed the lid cedar section to give it a nicer dressed appearance.
I currently have the box and lid put together. The felt strips are a little thick at this point and the lid won't stay completely shut. So I have the box sitting on the bench with the lid closed and a couple 5lb. weights on top to keep it shut. I am hoping that the felt will eventually stay compressed.
The last steps are making a tray and humidifier. I am still considering where I want to put the humidifier.
I took this pic with my phone:

Old 09-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #49
bsslack
Herf Meister

Tim,

That, royal felt splash of color, really set's off all of that copper! That's a great look!

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #50
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsslack View Post
Tim,

That, royal felt splash of color, really set's off all of that copper! That's a great look!

Cheers!
Thanks Brian! I agree with you. I think I will be trying to save more details like this in the future. Figuring out how to do it is always the hardest part.