Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
gamelover2004
Banned

4.5 Cubic Foot Large Cedar Chestodor Humidor Loaded Climax B

Here is first copy typing of my Cedar Chestodor Instructions below:

Cedar Chestodor Instructions
Check out the Big Lots website at http://www.biglots.com/ to find the store nearest to you that has a furniture department.
You want to purchase the cedar chest they sell that's unassembled mine cost me $100 + tax at the Big Lots Furniture Dept. in Warren PA
You will also need a tube of clear silicone tub& sink sealer (you can get this at any hardware store or Wal-Mart-Mart) mine at Valu Homes Hardware and it was $5 for a tube and a cheap caulking gun to dispense the silicone.
At Wal-Mart you will need to purchase a "Acu-Rite" combination Thermometer and Hygrometer either in hardware or lawn and garden department, mine cost me less than $4.00 at the Corry Wal-Mart
Foam Door Seal Tape (1/4" thick by 1/2" width) enough to seal all four sides around the top of the humidor, you will attach them to the walls and not the lid.
Purchase Climax Beads from Vern at http://www.climmax.com/ as a member of Cigar Weekly Vern will give you a discount of I think 20% off with you purchase (for being a Cigar Weekly brother) of a pound of either 65% or 70% beads they'll cost about $30 shipped. These work great, I keep mine in a old 50 count blank cd tower upside down with the center spindle post removed and lots of 1/8" holes in the what used to be bottom now is the top and makes a perfect container for the beads. I use a medicine lid from a bottle of pepto to measure out 35ml measure 30ml the measure 5ml of distilled water to charge the beads. I only have to charge my beads every 5 or 8 weeks on average. You can purchase the beads after you purchase all the local parts and start assembly Vern ships them by USPS Priority Mail so you get them fast.
Purchase plastic mesh stackable storage racks from any $1 dollar store. Make sure to measure the racks before buying so you know how many will fit. I have six in mine a 6"x 14"x 14" room left for boxes and humidity beads and cost me only $6 + tax.

Now you have everything you need to begin construction.
Assemble the Cedar Chest, do not install the springs for the top as these will make the lid stay to far up to properly seal even with the foam door sealer tape.
After you assembled the chest you need the clear silicone tub/sink sealer, you will see why you need a large tube. Seal every seam on the inside of the chest, seal the black plastic circles also, seal over any screws and holes - don't forget the lid.
After sealing everything leave the lid open for 3 to 7 days to allow the silicone to completely dry and allow the smell to disappear also.
Insert the beads, Thermometer/Hygrometer combo, and racks. Charge the beads as per instructions from Vern at Climax Beads. You can also wipe down all the wood with a clean paper towel dampened with distilled water, I did this to mine. Shut the lid and wait 5 to 7 days to allow the Cedar Chestodor to become humidity stable.

Comments From The Prowd Owner of a Cedar Chestodor by myself
I have had mine in use since February and no problems. All of my cigars taste and smell fine. If you go to a BigLots Furniture department and open the cedar chest on display and smell the wood it should have almost no smell, this is why I chose to use it without relining the interior with spanish cedar.
If I can be of anymore help
PLMK,
Steve
gamelover2004 is offline   Reply With Quote