Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

cuba libre one toro

I got a single of these in a sampler, and I've put off smoking it for a year or so. got brave tonight around 3 am. Took the laptop outside with ironman, and grilled a big burger. then I lit the cigar as I started the movie, and had a couple of beers.

The thing was a nice looking stick, with a dark, shiny, smooth wrapper. it was solidly rolled, and heavy for a toro. It actually outweighed a churchill from the same humidor. no lumps or soft spots, no weak points in the foot. It was a bit difficult to light, it may be overhumidified for that particular stick; it burned kind of irregularly all throughout, and once almost died. I had to correct it a lot, but I was smoking rather slowly.

It's listed as a "full" cigar on the website, and knowing the maker and the dealer, I was prepared for a low quality smoke. Nothing stood out in the blend flavorwise, just good tobacco character. nothing really seemed to stand out. What surprised me, though, was the lack of harshness. No harsh peppery burn to this one, no creosote, no day old starbucks on the palate, nothing obnoxious. It was a good mellow smoke.

I purged it about midpoint, wound up smoking it for well over an hour, and set it down after smoking about 4". I could have easily stretched it to 1-1/2 hours or longer.

I guess that this is a pretty good bundled smoke, and the toro or robusto seem to probably be the vitola to smoke. I'd definitely buy these again, if I could only be certain that the next 20 of them will be just as good as this one.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote