Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Mixed Up Scotches

This is something I began experimenting with a few years ago, after I'd tasted enough single malts to gain a grasp of their differing styles. Why not, I thought, attempt to put together my very own pure malt blended whisky? The steps are as follows:
1. Determine what aromas and flavours you like and don't like.
2. Stick to malts in which you find qualities you do like.
3. Paint a picture of exactly what you're aiming to create as regards body, pungency (smoky or otherwise), dryness and or sweetness and ease of drinking.
4. Select as few as two single malts with which to begin. Don't go overboard with the number of constituent malts at the start. I would recommend a maximum of six.
5. Pick one (or two at most) malts to act as the primary ingredients. These should NOT have a great deal of character, but should be of good quality nonetheless. They will provide a canvas onto which you will 'paint' the more individualistic ones.
6. Use other, stronger malts in very small quantities to add particular nuances.
7. Measure the quantity of each malt carefully as you pour it into a decanter, and record the amounts so that you can review your results later on.
8. Leave your blend alone for awhile. A few days is the minimum and a few weeks is far better. Malts possess different textures, congeners and specific gravities. Time permits everything to meld. Otherwise, you'll simply be getting a little bit of this and a little bit of that, but NOT a well integrated whisky.
9. That's it, but to give you an idea of the possibilities, here's a simple recipe...

8 parts Glenlivet 12 year old for Bourbon barrel crispness along with herbal and floral notes
3 parts Cragganmore 12 year old to add mineral and smoke overtones as well as greater complexity
1 part Talisker 10 year old to add island peatiness and spice along with oily richness

This will produce a fairly light and dry but very drinkable Scotch with a hint of the isles in it that should appeal to those who DON'T like Sherry cask malts such as Macallan.

Above all, have fun!