Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
ElkTwin

Old Fashioned 42s

It's 1997, some might describe this as the golden age of cigars, and the crawls and events are happening one right after another. Jersey Shore, Carolina, and then the sequel to the event that aguably started the crawl phenomenon, the Little Havana Cigar Crawl, is taking place in Miami. Saka has pulled out all the stops, and about fifty serious herfers are being hauled around Miami in an open sided bright red trolley, singing obscene folk songs and yelling fractured Spanish at the local residents.

One of the stops is at Mike's Cigars in Miami Beach. We all cram into the store and start a feeding frenzy reminiscent of a tank full of the local sharks being fed rump roast after a five week fast. Boxes of Opus, Anniversarios, and Don Carlos are flying off the shelves faster than startled starlings in a country cornfield. Even a few of the allegedly rare Partagas 150s are snapped up in no time. Amidst the carnage, and during a special tour of Mike's mail order operation, I stumble across a wall of segundos, those seconds of famous brands that Tom Mullaney has indexed and chronicled in his famous list. There before me is a shelf full of Old Fashioned 42s, seconds of the Partagas Robusto, my favorite cigar. In a flash, I've dumped a bundle in my basket on top of the Exclusivo maduros.

Here it is, almost ten years later, and these segundo cigars are turning out to be, as many suggest, some of the great bargains of the cigar world. Originally selling for less than a buck a piece, these have aged out to be very smooth, yet Cameroon spicy, examples of the Partagas line. Less apt to suffer from construction problems than their big brothers, these little beauties just keep delivering solid performance at a bargain price. Way before the Connie 9, there was the Old Fashioned 42. I suggest a bundle of Old Fashioned a year to age. What have you got to lose?