Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 06-26-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

Anyone here opened up a Pioneer receiver?

I came home to find my new receiver had crapped out on me. Most likely a lightning or power surge problem. I took out my manual to see if it might just need a reset.....and found that "if the standby light is constantly blinking, take the unit to your nearest auth. Pioneer repair shop"........ this was the symptom encountered. I can't take it back to Best Buy, cuz it's about 2 weeks beyond the 30 day return period (and no, I didn't purchase a service plan )......but I got to thinking, maybe it just blew a fuse or something.......if anyone has any tips.....I may just open it up and see if there is something simple to replace.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
ferdelance
Herf Meister

bet all you find is circuit chips and boards, not like in the old days when it was analog and you could actually ficx it yourself,
Old 06-26-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
spiridon
Herf God

I opened it up earlier today.....got my hopes up when I saw two fuses, but both were still good. Probably blew a resistor or something......and I ain't much of a bench tech.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

Take it to a real repair shop. They might charge you a bench fee for determining what the problem is, but sometimes they apply that to the actual cost to repair it. Make sure they call and give you an estimate and tell you what happened BEFORE they actually fix it.

That way, if you want to call and tear someone a new one at Pioneer or Best Buy, they can't say that you screwed the pooch by opening it up yourself--unless you qualify as a legitimate repair man. As opposed to some "shade-tree mechanic" like me. :P
Old 06-28-2004, 05:23 AM   #5
Club Member

Pioneer has 1 year parts and labor warranty. Go to pioneerelectronics.com and go to Service/Support>warranties - call them
7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
spiridon
Herf God

Thanks guys, that is the route I will take.