Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Graymatter
Starting Member

Frigidor

I have a fairly new, small fridge (~2' x2 1/2' x 18") that I am using for a large humi. I have been using (4) 50 cigar boxes but have had difficulty keeping them all at the same RH so I decided to use the fridge as a frigidor since it has been out of commission for a while. My questions are:

1. Does the new plastic smell affect the cigars?
2. When I get a new box that I want to just store should I open the box or leave them sealed?
3. I have not lined the walls with Spanish cedar - is this essential?
4. I don't have air circulation in the unit - is this essential?
5. I am using about 1/2 lb of 70% RH humidity beads - is that sufficient?

Any help would be appreciated.
GM
Graymatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymatter View Post
1. Does the new plastic smell affect the cigars? Depends on how strong it is, I suppose. I've never worried about that with new coolers, I just start filling 'em up. I don't get any plastic smell in my cigars, even after 2+ years of aging.
2. When I get a new box that I want to just store should I open the box or leave them sealed? That's kind of a cello on/cello off question. Personally, I open and inspect most boxes that I intend to store for a significant amount of time.
3. I have not lined the walls with Spanish cedar - is this essential? No. There is probably enough Spanish cedar in the boxes themselves to do the job.
4. I don't have air circulation in the unit - is this essential? IMO, no. I personally believe less is more where oxygen and aging cigars is concerned. I don't do air circulation and I don't periodically open my coolers "so the cigars can breathe." I'm sure others will chime in with different opinions, but that's mine.
5. I am using about 1/2 lb of 70% RH humidity beads - is that sufficient? By your measurements, your frigidor is about 7.5 cubic feet on the inside. If I'm remembering my bead math properly, a pound is supposed to work with up to 5 cubic feet. IF my memory is right, you may want to bump up the beads a bit. Keep in mind that how often you open the door and what the ambient RH is both have huge impacts on how stable any humidification device will keep the RH, and how often you need to add water.

Any help would be appreciated.
GM
Good questions.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Graymatter
Starting Member

MD,
Thanks for your input. Since your counsel is all I have to go on at this point, I am going with it. All of my boxes are already open and I have added more beads and I am holding at 65% RH at 65 degrees. That should do it. I have some Tatuaje's and Padilla's in there that like a less humid environment.
I wiped the entire inside of the fridge down and let it air out for a couple of days and it seems to be fine. Bottom line is there is a more consistent environment for all of my cigars. I think this will work for long term storage and I can pull out a few each week and put them into my desktop for my daily smokes.

Thanks again MD for taking the time to respond.

GM
Graymatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

GM - Sounds like you have it nailed down extremely well. I believe that 65/65 is pretty close to optimal for long-term storage...that's what I strive to maintain in my coolers. And to my tastes, yes, that's just about perfect for Tatuaje Miamis and Padilla 1932s, both of which I am aging in multi-box quantities.

The only problem I see you running into is that you're likely to fill that frigidor up in a hurry. At that point, we can talk about coolers and kitty litter beads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Good questions.
Good answers.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Good answers.
I second that, especially the answer to #4. IMO "oxidation" is not especially good for long term storage/aging.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

This works for me...

I have a fridgedor. Has been working great for about 5 years now. I bought a 5.5 cu. ft. refridgerator(all refridge, no freezer), added a Johnson temp control I purchased from Williams Brewing, added silica beads, and put in a digital temp/humi gauge. Then I garnished the inside with all my cigars!

The only problems I've encountered is filling the fridgedor up too fast! I do have a backup 48 qt cooler out in the barn just in case I need it!

And, the room I keep my cigars does not have heat or air conditioning, so when the weather changes from summer to winter or winter to summer, I have to watch the temps and humidity closely until it evens out for that particular season.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
bigmike787
Club Member

I used to have a fridgeador back before I bought a cabinet. I kept mine outside, so I used the cooling of the fridge to keep the temps down. I bought a temp controller from a brew store for that. The problem I ran into, with very hot/humid Texas summers was condensation forming inside the fridge. A friend of mine has a PhD in chemistry and we tried everything to keep the humidity down. He said it had to do with the amount of moisture in the air and it hitting the cooling coils in the fridge. The moist/hot air hits the cold coil and causes condensation to fall out. If yours won't be in triple digit heat, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.
bigmike787 is offline   Reply With Quote