Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Camacho Ditka Gametime

Good construction, some veins in the medium wrapper, light tobacco notes from the wrapper and a somewhat generous draw. Paired with a Shiner Texas Warmer ale.

Not surprisingly, it's very similar to the Camacho Corojo I smoked last week; the differences being a cleaner draw and less tendency to go out, although I will have to say that I was pretty involved in conversation while smoking the Camacho.

There is however a slight difference in the tasting notes; the Ditka has more pepper early on and has an odd sweetness that I might expect from a "dipped" cigar, although I know this one is not.

The cigar is producing plenty of smoke and is burning cleanly. The beer, a "winter warmer" style ale with chinook hops and roasted barley is a good match. Unlike UK winter warmers that usually carry a hefty punch, this beer is more session strength, thus not overpowering the cigar.

The Stage V Clinger cigar holder is also a handy gadget to have. Since I don't golf and have not been on a fishing boat in quite some time, I am using my steel grill to hold the magnets. There are three "steps" in the holder so it will work with most cigars.

At about 1/3 some very pleasant pecan notes emerge to blend with the tobacco and cedar notes I find in most Corojo cigars. The "mystery" sweetness has subsided some but remains, and the pepper remains for a very nice complex cigar.

This is a mild-to-medium cigar with lots of flavor and is very enjoyable. I'm not really a Bears fan, but would very much like to share one of these with Coach Ditka. Although the cigar is mild-to-medium, there is enough intensity to the flavor to match the personality of the Coach.

A bit of cinnamon appears at about 2/3, keeping the complexity interesting. That "certain something" remains that would lead me to believe that the cigar was aged with a liquor, although I'm still pretty sure it is not.

Back to the clip, I am clipping it on the band to ensure that it doesn't damage the wrapper. I will try it another time with an unbanded cigar to test it.

This is a very good Camacho style cigar that has just enough difference to say that it is just a rebranded Camacho. Leather, nuts, a bit of cinnamon and a touch of coffee set this apart from a typical Camacho.

One thing I have noticed is that the cigar remains very cool. Even many of the Churchill size cigars get a bit warmer at 2/3. It also has a very firm ash, so much so that I let it drop in my lap, but it was cool enough to not damage my shirt as some ashes do when they drop off without warning. It is also a very good sized cigar to smoke while drinking a bomber (22oz) beer in that you don't run out of one while having some left of the other.

I mentioned earlier that I am not a Bears fan, but I always did admire Coach Ditka, and this cigar represents him very well. Clean burn, great flavors and perhaps a bit smoother than the Coach's personality, it's a great cigar that you should smoke, Bears fan or no.

I could find a few quibbles with this cigar, but not many, so it earns a 8.75/10. Joe Bob says check it out.

As for the Stogie V Clinger, I will give it a preliminary 8/10, reserving the right to reexamine it with a bandless cigar.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote