Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
sharil

Davidoff Long Panatela

Langkawi is a Duty Free island where you can get Liquors, beers and more importantly Cigars on the cheap.

This is my third trip to Langkawi and after strolling down Kuah Town I stumbled into what looks like a newly opened cigar shop.

The Cigar Shop, Cuban Attitude looks like a really nice place to get smokes and stocks a good range of cigars.

I grabbed a few cigars and decided on a Davidoff Long Panatela as well for a quick smoke with food later on.

I must say of all cigars displayed, Davidoff looks the most luxurious on the top shelf. The simple white band with gold lines makes it really attractive. With it costing RM20 (USD 5.70)I thought it was a decent buy, plus it’s a Davidoff you can't really expect anything on the cheap to start with.

If there is a chance to smoke a Davidoff than I might as well buy it at Duty Free prices.

Once we got out of Kuah Town we quickly drove to a nice cosy restaurant situated between Pantai Tengah and Pantai Cenang.

On inspection the Panatela seems very loosely packed and I was quite surprised that the head has already been cut. After we got through the main course I quickly lit it up.

Since it was very loose, lighting it up is akin to lighting a rolled dry leaf. It wasn't the easiest and was not enjoyable at all. Once it's all lit up I took a few puff while letting it rest a little as it got hot after a while.

As it progressed, the cigar is becoming quite a disappointment.

I don't mind mild cigars but this is rather tasteless and at times it tastes more like a lite cigarette than anything.

I did not give up and smoked it anyway hoping it will come around. It did not and the issue of it getting hotter only persists, it also left an almost carbon like aftertaste.

I definitely won't recommend the smoke especially with the price and forking a few bucks more would have gotten me a Cuban minuto instead.

An expensive poor quality cigar in my book.