Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Master Gates
Club Member

For my 2000th post - a review - Punch SS#2 NOSU

What better to make the 2000th post than with a review....

The Cigar: Punch SS#2 (NOSU) I just received from a generous BOTL

Appearance: Perfectly round and medium brown in color, with a slightly rounded head. The wrapper was slightly veiny giving it just a slight rustic look....like when the leaf shrinks a bit, giving it that slight puckered look about the veins of the leaf. A very solid cigar with no soft spots. Solid, but lacking the heft in the hand like an overfilled cigar - a good sign.

Pre-light: Clipped easily with an Xikar. Draw was just a tad on the hard side as I like it. Not too much aroma from this cigar - probably because it was in the 40s when I smoked it, and it seems as though older smokes lack that pungent aroma that fresh ones have.

Light: Lit easily with a zippo burning only the finest 200 proof ethanol First few puffs were very cedary. A moderate amount of smoke, with a nice stream of blue smoke from the end of the cigar.

The first third: The cigar stayed on the lighter side, with lots of cedar. As I got to the second third, some creamy characteristics started to shine through, and the aftertaste was of a great cup of black coffee. Definitely still a good amount of tannic bitterness to this cigar.

Second third: A little more of the creamy profile, but the cedar and coffee were still prominent. Strength seemed to build a little more and I started to get that ever so slight tingle in the back of my throat. Still a bitterness was present and easily detectable.

Last third: More of what the seconf third was, with a little more strength. I burned it down to within an inch or so.

Thoughts: Even at 10 years, this particular cigar could benefit from more age. The tannic bitterness was still fairly strong, and is a good sign that these cigars are living up to the reputation of needing lots of age to reach their full potential. Overall, a really nice cigar resulting in a solid hour and a half of enjoyment for me. If I had to give it a score, today it would be an 89/100 with full expectation that with more time the other cigars in this particular cabinet will be truly epic

Master Gates is offline   Reply With Quote