Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR 2017 Review: Partagás 1845 (Black label) Corona Extra

I must confess at the outset that I've smoked these before and liked them. A few years ago, I was a regular reviewer for Cigar Weekly and often received cigars from General Cigar to review. At the beginning, here, I must admit a fondness for these cigars when they made their debut. They were well made, but then, what from General is not?

It has been a few years since the last one I've had, so this is almost a brand new review, my cigar memory is short beyond saying "I remember liking these, but I can't tell you much after that." Unless, it's one of the most recent things I've enjoyed. I should keep a journal, but at some point or other, having to know every last detail of every last cigar becomes work, a chore, and takes away from the enjoyment at times.

So, here we go, today happens, also, to be my bride's birthday, and she is enjoying her customary Sunday afternoon slumber. Reese, the incontrovertibly incontinent and now, likely, hearing-impaired dachsund is nosing around out here somewhere. And , it's hot and sticky out here.

The capa is a bit dark with a vein or two, and it's easy to see the edge of the leaf as it winds around the cigar. According to information gleaned on this here web-around-the-world contraption, this wrapper is Ecuadoran Habano, and it encases a filler bunch of Dominican and Nicaraguan tobaccos, bound by a Connecticut broadleaf binder.

The cap clips away nicely, and it's time to put match to flint and then the foot of the cigar, one is sufficient for the task and the initial yield is a sweet-ISH, leathery character that pleases me. I hope this remains, as that's a good sign of something enjoyable.

It measures 4˝ inches with a ring gauge of 46. This is the smallest cigar in the line, and it's labeled a "corona extra." That's another point in my book.

Here is General Cigar's description of this from their own website:
Quote:
Partagas 1845 is the culmination of 167 years of heritage and expert cigar making. Under the guidance of the legendary Benji Menendez, the Dominican and Nicaraguan blend was developed with proprietary tobaccos, each aged in Dominican rum barrels. The Connecticut Habano binder, developed by General Cigar, imparts a touch of sweetness and allows the lustrous Ecuadoran Habano Viso wrapper to shine. Subtle hints of coffee and cocoa impart layers of complexity, resulting in a sublime smoking experience.
First few centimeters and it's burning quite well, and a nice bit of smoke is rising from the ashtray, it's drawing well and burning rather evenly.

Holding this post for a few minutes, now a quarter of the way into the cigar, and the leather character remains, and it's quite fine. I REALLY do not want to say this, but I have had it sitting on the ashtray for more time than I've had it in my hand, and it is still putting up a nice "stream" of smoke instead of going out. Good sign, no?

It isn't hot, yet, either, this guy is quality.

Almost to the band now, and still a champion cigar.

As the "Roll Tide" types in Alabama like to say..."GIT YOU SOME!"

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote