Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

My State Next?

I got an e-mail from the IPCPR this afternoon. It's only in committee, and my state representative, Cameron Henry is on the Ways and Means committee. He's purports to be a big tax cutter, so I hit him with an e-mail message with my own thoughts, and those of the IPCPR about the undue taxation they're proposing.
Quote:
The State House of Representatives' Ways and Means Committee is currently considering House Bill 75, a tax increase on most tobacco products other than cigarettes.
As part of this proposal, H.B. 75 proposes to increase the excise tax on premium cigars and smoking tobacco from 20% to 30%--a 50% increase.
Here's an opinion piece from a former student of mine. Found her on Facebook, a few weeks ago. Last time I saw her was ten years ago, she was in 8th grade my last year teaching at that school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian Minera
For non-smokers, the Louisiana Smoke-Free Air Act, made effective a little over a year ago was a triumphant victory against the evils of cigarette smoke exposure in most public places.
I'm sure there are very few of you who have not been affected, be it positively or negatively, by the new legislation. But could I be the only non-smoker in America that finds this law, which inhibits business owners the freedom to allow whatever legal substances they choose to be consumed in their own businesses, slightly disturbing?
I mean think about it. When you own a business, you are responsible for paying rent on the property, paying taxes, paying for the permits, and investing in its overall success. How then can the government step in and control what you do in your own financial investment?
We, as U.S. citizens, are lucky to be given the freedom to choose where we spend our money. If a restaurant owner allows smoking in his or her establishment, as a consumer we are able to choose whether or not we want to eat at that restaurant. By passing this law, I feel that the lawmakers have over-stepped their role in our every day lives and have taken away freedoms from the entrepreneur.
Of course this law has good intentions: the bettering of society and the health of the community. But as Ronald Reagan said, "The role of government is to protect us from each other, not from ourselves."
I just hope that this is as far as it goes. If we continue on this track soon there will be a ban on everything that is legal but harmful and offensive.
The freedom to pick our noses while driving could possibly be the next move for legislators. I'm sure they will claim it is distracting and offensive to other commuters. I wouldn't be surprised if they went so far as to round up some scientists that can link nose picking to global warming, premature aging, or maybe even death!
That's just my opinion.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote