Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:29 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

"New" CW favorites?

Certainly, times change, cigars come and go, tabaqueros come and go, like all endeavors, the only constant is change.

We have cigars that many here have enjoyed for decades, now, even if others sell them:
La Gloria
Villazon/J*R blends : El Rey del Mundo, Hoyo de Monterrey, Punch.
CAO still seems popular
Perdomo?
Oliva?

When I first started here, La Luna was all the rage and with good reason. But LL is gone. What are some of our new CW cigar trends? What are some the newbies in a few years simply won't understand? LOL I'll list what I perceive and what I like:

PDR
GTO (our new advertiser)
A.J. Fernandez: He's been trending upward for a few years now, though...I like the Ave Maria.

Señorial by José Blanco
Erik Espinosa's La Zona Factory is turning out good stuff.

Whatchall got?

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

JFuego. I hope they'll still be around in 5 years, but they are making an outstanding cigar right now. Senor Blanco continues to turn out an extremely high quality product as well. THe man's knowledge of tobacco and blending is nothing short of amazingly incredible.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
JFuego. I hope they'll still be around in 5 years, but they are making an outstanding cigar right now. Senor Blanco continues to turn out an extremely high quality product as well. THe man's knowledge of tobacco and blending is nothing short of amazingly incredible.
HARRUMPH.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

And he is a very gracious man in person as well. He interrupted a call with one of his suppliers to shake my hand again and tell me goodbye as I was leaving the local B&M.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Some of the things that I have seen go down in flames would be euros Indios. Torano is only a ghost here. It's interesting that the more altadis flails around trying to create new marques, the don't seem to wind up with improved name recognition.

And once again, the emperor with three new duds, imo, turns out nothing but duds. I bought a big drew estate sampler. Muwat, kfc, Inca rustica, etc, and this was a joke. Construction was competent on some. Quality was average. Overall, they were tasteless and boring. No, they were not awful, but they still managed to be the single biggest waste of money that I ever did.

They're never going away, I think that there will always be a way to find market share if you're clever.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Puros Indios is a shell of itself, now-a-days because Don Rolando died, and he pushed that company. His family isn't as interested. Of course Lew did an exposé on Don Rolando in his early days....
Secondly, our friend, Frank Santos is no longer with that company. His reputation for integrity did a LOT for that company whether he and/or they know it or not.

Toraño? Most here, likely, still enjoy them. But they're now a part of General Cigar Company. Charlie Toraño, as I understand it, has been courted back by General to help the "brand."

Brian, you're not a "trendy cigar" guy.

I'm looking to stir some conversation, like I said, when I joined up, La Luna was THE THING on this board, and it remained so until Gael's business failed. We still reminisce and really get excited when someone finds LLs in their humidors.

My goal here is to list or discuss "today's La Luna on Cigar Weekly."

Last edited by TommyBB; 07-09-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Meaning marques you think will fail?

Couldn't resist, my friend.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
ronin
The Duke
Herf God

Tat's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
SmoKerch
Herf God

Not new, or necessarily boutique brands, but I really enjoy the H.Upmann Banker series and the CAO Flathead line.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote