Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
Certifried
Club Member

Houston, we have a problem

About 1.5 months ago, my humidity suddenly dropped by about 4%, so I turned the knob on my Cigar Oasis up and attained 65% once again. Yesterday, once again, my humidity dropped and was holding at 60%. I have turned the CO know all the way up, and we're holding steady at 62% now. I have filled the CO cartridge (both times) with distilled water first just to make sure it wasn't a dry cartridge problem. I would also expect the CO to turn on and stay on, which it hasn't done either time.

My question now is two-fold. I'm about to do the salt test on the hygrometer (western digital) and wonder what you think the problem will be: The hygrometer is going bad, or the CO is getting out of whack somehow. My second question is has anyone ever had this problem with the CO (which I think is the problem here) like this? I know I can send it to bargainhumidors and get fast and satisfactory service, I just hope that's not the problem.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

There was this recently: http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=75138
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Certifried
Club Member

thanks, yes I saw this when it was first posted and that's how I know I'll get good CS from BH and what has also led me to believe the CO is suspect here. Salt test is underway. The humidity in the house is mid-high 50's so I'm going to have to get creative with some floral foam and a spare foam media unit I have laying around.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
solomr2
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certifried
thanks, yes I saw this when it was first posted and that's how I know I'll get good CS from BH and what has also led me to believe the CO is suspect here. Salt test is underway. The humidity in the house is mid-high 50's so I'm going to have to get creative with some floral foam and a spare foam media unit I have laying around.
Boy, things are really whacko down here in S.FLA too. The summer months are normally very humid, but this year the humidity has barely broken above 60%, and to make matters worse we have 90+ degrees every day.

The Oasis does do some funny things sometimes. I would get a new water tank, they're only about $11, and they need to be replaced every couple of years anyway. If that doesn't work, set the knob back to the middle, and run a test with it in a tupperware container, sealed well, and observe it for a couple of days. Dial it back in to the 70% range and see if it holds.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

if youy can get it for $99 you can find a good use for it I bet.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
robert gene
Starting Member

my hygrometer goes south like that when the battery is low
Old 07-30-2004, 04:53 AM   #7
Certifried
Club Member

the salt test showed my hygrometer reading 72%, so it's about 3% low. I put it back in this morning and it read 65% after a few minutes, so I'm guessing my humidity is around 68%. Still, that seems quite low since I have my CO cranked ALL the way up. I'm going to keep a close eye on it, and order some 65% beads in the meantime for some backup. There's also a potentiometer on the CO next to the adjustment knob. I might tweak that and see where it gets me too. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 08-06-2004, 05:03 AM   #8
Certifried
Club Member

well, my 65% beads came in last night from Vern @ Climmax. I put them in and my hygrometer read 65% this morning, up from the 62% it's been holding. I think this will work well, I have the beads in to regulate better and the CO will probably have to work 1/2 as much. I feel better about this, I have two different systems in there to back each other up.

I have to keep an eye on it though, since one reason the RH might have been up was because it was cooler in the room this morning.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #9
DWavs
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certifried
well, my 65% beads came in last night from Vern @ Climmax. I put them in and my hygrometer read 65% this morning, up from the 62% it's been holding. I think this will work well, I have the beads in to regulate better and the CO will probably have to work 1/2 as much. I feel better about this, I have two different systems in there to back each other up.

I have to keep an eye on it though, since one reason the RH might have been up was because it was cooler in the room this morning.
Yep...my RH went haywire the last couple of days in Virginia cuz the temp has dropped and so has the humidity. I have my CO turned 3/4 of the way up and it is currently holding at 65% RH.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #10
prflani
Herf Meister

Why mess with this when Climmax media gives such good and reliable control? I always wondered about this...
prflani is offline   Reply With Quote