Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
tommy_tucka
Starting Member

Humidor set up.

While on holiday in Mallorca I wanted to have a cigar to celebrate. So I went to a tobacconist and stumbled across a world I never knew existed. I bought a monte cristo no 4 and its was a brilliant smoke. I then found myself buying more and smoking them.

Then when I came back to the UK I was buying one every 2-3 weeks from JJ Fox in London.

Now I have just purchased a glass top humidor and have followed the instructions on how to set it up but was wondering if anyone has any tips for me? As this is something I'm really starting to enjoy and want to learn more.

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tommy_tucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Welcome to the group, Tommy, and the wonderful world of cigars. My first recommendation, if you don't already have one, would be to get a digital hygrometer for your humidor. The analog ones that come with most small humidors are not accurate. You might also want to get some beads to replace the humidification device. These changes will keep your cigars at the right humidity level.

Other than that, just enjoy the journey. Don't buy boxes yet, as you are just starting to find out what you like and your tastes will likely change over the next year or so. Once you know what you really like then you can start buying boxes and start figuring out how you are going to store all those wonderful cigars. But keep it simple for now.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
beevod
Herf God

Those Montes will never let you down.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
CSMAnderson
Herf God

Sounds like another BOTL is getting into the cigar craze. A word of warning, watch out it can become addicting. In a few months you will see what I mean. It can get out of control.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Welcome to the group, Tommy, and the wonderful world of cigars. My first recommendation, if you don't already have one, would be to get a digital hygrometer for your humidor. The analog ones that come with most small humidors are not accurate. You might also want to get some beads to replace the humidification device. These changes will keep your cigars at the right humidity level.

Other than that, just enjoy the journey. Don't buy boxes yet, as you are just starting to find out what you like and your tastes will likely change over the next year or so. Once you know what you really like then you can start buying boxes and start figuring out how you are going to store all those wonderful cigars. But keep it simple for now.
What he said. +1 and all that goes with it. Tubos will keep longer than cello-wrapped cigars.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
tommy_tucka
Starting Member

Thank you Rob. I'm really enjoying it. Can you recommend any UK sellers who can supply the hydrometer and beads? Many thanks

Old 09-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
tommy_tucka
Starting Member

Yea I plan to take it easy. Lucky for my tho I have friends who live in Mallorca and do come to London to visit quite often.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
jgbutler
Herf Meister

Good advice above including using beads for your humidification. I have the extra large tube with 65% beads from the site below in my desktop. It works great and keeps the RH rock steady.

Heartfelt Industries
Old 09-15-2015, 03:48 AM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbutler View Post
Good advice above including using beads for your humidification. I have the extra large tube with 65% beads from the site below in my desktop. It works great and keeps the RH rock steady.

Heartfelt Industries
Tommy,

You can't go wrong Heartfelt Industries. And they ship to Europe.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #10
tommy_tucka
Starting Member

Sorry guys back again. I have Amazon prime so can get these for tomorrow

So will these be ok?

Also once I have them do they go into my humidifier

Which is like this

Sorry for the silly questions, just I don't want to spoil my cigars that I put in.

Many thanks.