Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Herf's Up!!

Herf's Up!! A room dedicated to the announcement and discussion of herfs.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:19 PM   #1
schuellk
Club Member

Going to be in Houston on October 25-28th

I'm going to be down in Houston the end of October for an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Symposium related to Dept. of Defense assets. I was hoping to maybe meet up with some of you who live there for a get together one evening after all the "official" stuff has finished.

I don't have a completed itinerary yet, but I do know I'll be leaving the afternoon of the 28th (gotta be back at work on Friday). Once I get the trip details finalized, I'll post that info too.
schuellk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
wer
Club Member

let us know as the date gets closer. I'd be great to meet you.
wer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
GuyMcBeerdrinker
Club Member

let us know where you'll be staying so we can schedule something close to your hotel.
GuyMcBeerdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
schuellk
Club Member

I got the hotel already since it's the same place as the symposium. I'll be at the Hilton Americas-Houston and the symposium is being held at the George R. Brown Convention Center.

Hopefully I should be getting the info from corporate travel tomorrow with the choices for flights so I can let you guys know tomorrow evening.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
vipe

McCoy's http://www.mccoysfinecigars.com is less than a mile from where you're staying. Haven't been there myself but I know Jorge has.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
GuyMcBeerdrinker
Club Member

mccoy's is very very small. we can visit with mike (the owner) and later grab a pint and some smokes next door at slainte irish pub:

http://houston.citysearch.com/customer_website/11354966
Old 10-10-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Texas Cop
Club Member

I'm game so long as I can get permission from the warden...er....woman!

Andrew
You lot say you want to know the 2 most important things about Ireland? Well, first of all, Cane and Abel, they had to be from bloody fucking Belfast, didn't they? Second, in Ireland, we have our own Holy Trinity: Death, Pain, and Suffering.
Texas Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #8
Reverend Jim
Club Member

I could probably come out for a pint! POST AGIAN OR pm me when it gets closer.

Here's a tip: If you have fat rolls on the back of your head and you can grow hair to cover them, please do so.

Reverend Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
schuellk
Club Member

Ok, here's the scoop on my trip to Houston.

I'm supposed to be getting there around 11am to the airport on Monday, the 25th. The first technical session of the symposium is at 1:45, so I should be able to make that. Then there's the usual wander through the exhibit hall before a reception that runs until 6:30pm. I should be able to check into the hotel and be all set by then. Monday evening is free.

Tuesday, looks like that entire day is booked from 8am until 9:30pm with sessions, speeches, and an Evening at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

Wednesday is available from 4-6pm before the Sec. of Defense Maintenance Awards Banquet begins.

Thursday I have the final portion of the symposium until noon, and then my flight doesn't leave Houston Intercontinental until 5:45pm. (I gotta thank corporate travel for that one).

I was able to talk the travel department into a rental car, but considering they signed me up for a mid-size/intermediate car, who knows what I'm going to get. With the number of people in town for the symposium, I'm guessing there will be some slim pickins.

I look forward to meeting some of you in a few weeks. Vipe's idea of stopping at McCoy's sounds good since I may need to get a cutter and lighter once I get down there.

Thanks all!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:54 AM   #10
GuyMcBeerdrinker
Club Member

don't fret about the rental wheels. if you are going to be staying at the hilton americas you won't really need them. eventhough you'll be in the fringe of downtown, there'll be plenty of fine restaurants within walking distance for when room service gets old.

mccoy's is about a total of a twelve block from your hotel. and there's a lot of bars and restaurants on that street as well (main street). from the front door of your hotel ahead due west until you hit minute maid ballpark which is on texas avenue. from there walk north on texas avenue about 6 blocks until you hit main street. you'll see the light rail tracks, you can't miss them. mccoy's is pretty much on the texas/main street intersection sandwiched between a diner and a bar called "mint"

I guess monday night is the best bet to get together.