Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

Well, that was a disappointment!

Several weeks ago I purchased a 5-pack of the Smoking Monk cigars by Drew Estates. I thought this was a very intriguing "gimmick". How could a cigar be specially blended to enhance the flavor of a certain beer? I finally felt comfortable enough with my health forgo smoking only one or two cigars a week, opened up the 5-pack and smoked 4 of the 5 this weekend. I don't know if anyone else has tried these, but I was not happy.

First off, let me say that the construction was excellent. The draw both before and after lighting was very good. The ash hung on for about an inch or so before falling in my lap! These are a very nice looking cigar.

Rather than smoking these with the appropriate brew, I chose to smoke these without any beverage except water. I wanted to get the full taste of the cigar while smoking. Well, that's where they were lacking. No taste what at all. That is what had me the most disappointed. There wasn't any taste. These were very mild. Kind of like smoking air!

The first two, Hefewiezen and Triple Belgian seemed to taste the same to me. Although they both smoked and burned very well, there was just no taste. I felt that these were the same cigar! After those two disappointments I tried the American IPA. It was supposed to have a "zesty" flavor profile. Once again, no zest here.

I then tried the Porter. I figured that since it was a darker wrapper it had to have at least a bit of change in strength and taste. It too was mild. I did hint a touch of pepper with this one, but nothing outstanding.

I have not tried the last one, the Imperial Stout. I will try that one tonight, hoping to salvage a bad smoking week-end with a cigar that will pull through with some flavor. They say this one is "heavily infused". I hope so.

In all fairness, if you like very mild cigars with not much flavor, these are ok. But, why bother. The best part of these is the construction and draw. I think DE struck out with these. But that's just my opinion. Maybe if they rest for six months the flavor profile might change.