Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 01-08-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
Natgolfer
Club Member

Location: #14, 559 yard par 5, lying 1, right side of fairway, 242 yards out, taking a leak behind an oak tree
Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but I really don't know. What is the proper temperature to serve various wines? I know some are served chilled, and others at room temperature. I have Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonay, White Zinfindel and Syrah. Any experts out there?

"Love is just the delusion that one woman is different from the others" - H. L. Mencken

Edited by - Natgolfer on 01/08/2002 9:42:04 PM
Old 01-08-2002, 08:44 PM   #2
MetsFan
Herf God

The best answer is to serve them at whatever temperature you want.

Conventional wisdom is reds are served at room temperature and whites are chilled. But, it's my experience that whites are often served way to cold and that it kills the flavor. Reds are often served way to warm. Don't forget your house is probably 65-70 deg. F.

Experiment. See what you like best.

Let's Go Hawks!
MetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:05 PM   #3
sprint_67
Club Member

Yeah I have to agree with MetsFan. Do what you like and don't worry about all those people that say serve this cold and serve this at room temp. That also goes for when you are having fish, chicken, beef, or just plain old tuna fish sandwhich, drink what you like with it.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:30 AM   #4
huskerMike

How you like it is the best, I agree.

The way I like it is: Whites, I'll chill approximately 30-45 minutes in the fridge.
Reds I like in the 60-65 degree range.

£ Mike My wife says that I don't listen to her. At least that's what I think she said.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
CoventryCat86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natgolfer View Post
Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but I really don't know. What is the proper temperature to serve various wines? I know some are served chilled, and others at room temperature. I have Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonay, White Zinfindel and Syrah. Any experts out there?

"Love is just the delusion that one woman is different from the others" - H. L. Mencken

Edited by - Natgolfer on 01/08/2002 9:42:04 PM
Wow, an old thread but one worth adding something to IMO.

I sort of qualify as an "expert" in this area as I work part-time at liquor store that belongs to the company that is the largest retailer of wine in North America.
Light reds such as Beaujolais, Pinot Noit, Chianti, Merlot, etc.: 58 - 62 F
Big reds such as most other red wines like Bordeaux, Cabernet, Shiraz, Zinfadel and yes, even Merlot again because it's kind of in between both of these groups: 63 - 65 F
Light Chardonnay, Reisling, Soave, Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier: 48 - 53 F
Burgundy whites (which are almost always 100% Chardonnay), full-bodied Chardonnay and Semillion: 54 - 58 F
All sparking wines such as Champagne, Cava, Prosecco, etc.: 40 - 45 F
Sauternes, Beerenauslese dessert wines, etc.: 51 - 61 F
Eiswein, TBA, Port, Madeira, Sherry dessert and fortified wines: 62 - 65 F

Last edited by CoventryCat86; 12-05-2015 at 09:14 AM.
CoventryCat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
CoventryCat86

Unhappy

Looks like natgolfer's last post was almost ten years ago so he probably won't see this.
CoventryCat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

But great info, thanks for sharing.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

We are in the process of emailing past members who've not been around in a year or more...

seems a good number of them have changed email addresses, so we just won't be able to connect... but encouraging the family to get back in touch! Thanks for posting that wine info! I just didn't know that - probably because wine and I don't get along very much.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Given the wide range of styles of wine that exists today, even among single winegrowing regions, it makes more sense to correlate the serving temperature of a wine to its specific characteristics rather than its 'category'.

For reds, I find that those favouring an acidic structure over tannins work better when served cooler, while those that are more tannic than acidic seem to 'like' a slightly warmer serving temperature. Similarly, younger and more vigorous reds can be served a little bit warmer than older, more fragile ones. Here, I'm only talking about a temperature difference of 1 to 3 degrees Celcius.

Delicate, acidic white wines (such as Muscadet or German-styled Riesling, with its finely wrought balance between fruitiness and acidity) 'like' cooler serving temperatures, while more full-bodied ones (such as Burgundy, Rhône or 'big' Alsatian whites) really blossom when not served at too cold a temperature. One of the great pleasures of drinking such wines is sensing how they open up in the glass as their internal temperatures gradually rise.

With Port wines, I'd recommend that white Ports and fine old Tawny Ports be served cool (cooler for white Ports), and that Ruby, Vintage and Late Bottled Vintage Ports be served at room temperature.

Madeira wines are not so simple as one might at first think. For instance, Sercials (which are quite dry) benefit from being served at as cool a temperature as one would serve a German Riesling. Verdelhos also work at a cool (though not quite as cool as the previous) temperature. Buals need a slightly warmer serving temperature - say that one would serve an old Bordeaux at. And Malmseys seem to like being served around the same temperature range one would employ for a young tannic red wine.

Bottom line: Take the winemaker's stylistic preference into account over that of the general type of wine or region. And trust your own judgement.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Greer longs Doug. At a resident Thursday night the wife had a white Bordeaux. They served it ice cold and it underwhelming. As it sat for a while and warmed up just ever so slightly, it became very nice.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote