Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

What's in the Xicar jar? Is that a soft gel material? Could be it no longer functions as a humidifier should. Beads are hard to beat. They seem to last a very long time. I've never had any wear out.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Numus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog View Post
What's in the Xicar jar? Is that a soft gel material? Could be it no longer functions as a humidifier should. Beads are hard to beat. They seem to last a very long time. I've never had any wear out.
What do the beads look like? It is basically full of pieces of gel. They kinda look like beads tho. It is brand new so I doubt that was it... When I say the humidor was dry, I mean it sucked up DI like no ones business... No idea how it got that dry.
Numus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Weird man! And in Florida too. I would think you should barely even need humidification.

Starting from scratch is probably a good idea.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
jgbutler
Herf Meister

Here are three links to the kind of beads you need to buy if you decide to go that route. IMHO there is no other way to go for humidification. It is as simple, dependable and consistent as it gets once you get the humidity dialed in to where you want it. Plus for the quantity you get for the price, they will last you forever!

Pearls are what you need to look for as well as dust free and odor free.

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-12454

http://www.petguys.com/-633843100700.html

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=16348

That still didn't answer the question you asked as to what they look like. As long as you get the pearls, they will be small beads uniformly spherical in shape that are generally sort of a milky white in color. When you hydrate them by adding water they generally turn clear. As you lose RH over time from opening the humidor they will begin to turn white again. In the picture below, the pearls are on the right side. You absolutely don't want anything that looks like what is on the left side.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Numus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbutler View Post
Here are three links to the kind of beads you need to buy if you decide to go that route. IMHO there is no other way to go for humidification. It is as simple, dependable and consistent as it gets once you get the humidity dialed in to where you want it. Plus for the quantity you get for the price, they will last you forever!

Pearls are what you need to look for as well as dust free and odor free.

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-12454

http://www.petguys.com/-633843100700.html

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=16348

That still didn't answer the question you asked as to what they look like. As long as you get the pearls, they will be small beads uniformly spherical in shape that are generally sort of a milky white in color. When you hydrate them by adding water they generally turn clear. As you lose RH over time from opening the humidor they will begin to turn white again. In the picture below, the pearls are on the right side. You absolutely don't want anything that looks like what is on the left side.

The xikar is not pearls. Is there a link on how to fine tune the rh?
Numus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
big ben
Club Member

AC runs 24/7 in Florida. Very dry in the house.

If I were you, I would put a bowl of water in the humidor until the RH hits 70. Then replace the water with beads and cigars. Check RH each day until it stabilizes at 68.

Remember every time you open the lid you replace ALL the 68% air with 35% air. It can dry out REALLY quick.

Mark

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.
big ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Just FYI, your analog hygrometer isn't just a crappy product to start with, many of the humidors today have the back of the unit embedded into the wood. the hygrometer cannot access the air in the box, it can only very indirectly measure the moisture content of the wood. This is a $500 humidor, and as you see, there's no direct access to the back of the hygrometer, so frankly, unless you pay very close attention to it and don't use it often, you can easily wind up with wild variations between the hygro reading and the actual ambient humidity in the box.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
K5mow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numus View Post
The hygrometer is the cheap one that came with the humidor... Probably time to replace it with a digital one
I have found that the cheap not digital are not good at all. I would not trust them.

Roger
K5mow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5mow View Post
I have found that the cheap not digital are not good at all. I would not trust them.

Roger
So true. I bid on some cheap, adjustable digital on cbid, and they all work great!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
bigpuff
Herf Meister

Welcome to C W you have just found a wealth of great cigar information. Enjoy your self here and post a lot.

Big Puff

Ok I must confess. I am and always will be an
Opus whore.

Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote