Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 09-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #21
N8DCJ
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
short ribs can be cooked in ways other than those involving smoke and low heat. Koreans cook them over high heat, but they also prep them differently.

there are many recipes to those who seek them - sometimes I use Google.
GR

I agree, I bought an outside wok setup, been having fun with it, and, those short ribs are on my list...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #22
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

hopefully you have a store that sells the shortribs that have been sliced very thin

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #23
N8DCJ
Club Member

Quote:
hopefully you have a store that sells the shortribs that have been sliced very thin
We have a butcher up the road who will cut things any way you want, they aren't cheap, but all their beef is prime, that's all they sell and it's sourced locally....

The difference between their meat and Kroger is major... And unless krog running a special, their meat isn't much more... Their whole chickens are maybe $1.50 more total, and local, haven't tried one yet though...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #24
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

not sure you need prime beef for braising but spend you money ass you see fit. might seek out an ethnic market,, might even find it fun....

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 09-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #25
N8DCJ
Club Member

Quote:
not sure you need prime beef for braising but spend you money ass you see fit. might seek out an ethnic market,, might even find it fun....
Agree on braising etc... But one of the few places around where they still cut to order...

Ethnic market, I am not sure there is one in the area, I will have to go to Cleveland or Columbus I suspect...
Old 09-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #26
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DCJ View Post
Agree on braising etc... But one of the few places around where they still cut to order...

Ethnic market, I am not sure there is one in the area, I will have to go to Cleveland or Columbus I suspect...
I would be shocked if you don't have an Hispanic market (and those are great placed for the bargain cuts) and an Indian or Paki market just based on population dynamics. Some times you don't find it without looking...

Old 09-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #27
N8DCJ
Club Member

GR

Here is a rough breakdown of the population in Mansfield , and, why ethnic markets are non existant... Now then, I am fairly certain there will be a Hispanic market in a town about 35 miles from here as there is a huge migrant population for the four big farms up there..

This data is from datausa.io, I think this is 2017 data...

The ethnic composition of the population of Mansfield, OH is composed of 33.4k White Alone residents (71.6%), 8.61k Black or African American Alone residents (18.4%), 2.9k Two or More Races residents (6.21%), 1.31k Hispanic or Latino residents (2.8%), 241 Asian Alone residents (0.516%), 122 American Indian & Alaska ...
Old 09-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #28
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

you live in something of a geographic oddity, 35 miles from everything... but you've a Meijer and they have oxtail, shortribs and other tasty cuts, they also have smoked turkey and pork that can be used in some really classic 'stews' from Spain and France. They also have an international aisle worthy of a look.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #29
N8DCJ
Club Member

Geographic oddity is right lol...

The next largest town in the county is Shelby, their population is around 9000...

I forget about Meijer because it is on the other side of town and I never get over there... Granted only take me 15 minutes to get there... I will checkout their international section...

I do work up near Cleveland, I will have to see what's around in the area I work, might be something worth looking into, I drive 77 miles each way to work, so I guess a few extra won't hurt...

Dan
Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #30
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

I recommend NOT using choice cuts in Stews. They dont' benefit from the long cook and turn to mush! Cant remember what the next grade down is - select? but damn - it's typically dollars per pound cheaper, and 6 hours being cooked into chili? or Stew? you can't tell shit difference.

John
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote