Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 09-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
N8DCJ
Club Member

Stew recipes

OK guys... post recipes ...

I am always looking for something different...

I don't have a recipe, I just wing it, with all the usual suspects in it....

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Start with 3 lb cubed chuck steak, or store bought 'stew meat'. Spread the meat out on a platter and season liberally with garlic powder, salt, black pepper. quarter 3 medium onions and cut 2 potatoes into approx 1" chunks. chop a head of celery into~1/2 inch pieces. Brown beef in an iron dutch oven with 2Tbs oil for a few minutes on high heat, then reduce the heat to low, add 1/3 cup red wine and a tablespoon of Worcester sauce. cover and bake 30 minutes or so at 350. Stir and check the meat, add a cup of water. probably needs another 15-30 minutes before you add the veggies. Celery and Onion first, then the potatoes follow about 20 minutes later. cook until the meat is fork tender and the potatoes are soft. This is stew, so you might add some water at the celery and onion stage. The starch from the potatoes should thicken the mix. Sometimes I'll use a slotted spoon to take all the goodies out, and boil the 'gravy' to thicken it a bit. Oh - you can sub cauliflower florettes for potatoes - just add them right when the celery, onion, and meat feel just about right.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!

Last edited by BigJohn; 09-04-2019 at 02:47 AM.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
N8DCJ
Club Member

"Oh - you can sub cauliflower florettes for potatoes"

John

Interesting idea...

Thanks

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Old 09-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Yep. And add a little cream and cook the broth down to a thickened consistency to simulate what the potato starch would do... Then yer eatin KETO...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Brunswick Stew

A great way to use up leftover BBQ. Works with just about any meat.

Pork, beef or chicken boiled, boned and de-fatted to your liking
1 large can of whole, peeled tomatoes, cut up or squished in your hands
2 cans white corn...kernel, not creamed
Quarter cup white vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cubes of beef boullion
Third of a cup of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce (very important)
Several dashes of hot sauce
Large squirt of ketchup
3 tablesons Kitchen Banquet or Maggi sauce (these are browning sauces used to perk up a gravy. Should be able to find KB with the spices and Maggi in the Caribbean section)

Dump and simmer until heated through. Like a gumbo, it's better the next day.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Del Monte

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
N8DCJ
Club Member

OK, BigO already chimed in, now waiting on Jeepdad...