Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Oliva Master Blend Torpedo

Kinda crappy weather here today. It went from rain to sleet to snow and back to sleet. It let up about 1PM. The temp was in the thirties. Dressed properly and parked in my smoking spot in the woods it was pretty nice compared to the weather I had been enduring for the last month or so.
Keeping with the shaped cigar challenge I decided to try a "one off" cigar from my humidor. It was an Oliva Master Blend Torpedo. I've never had one and know nothing beyond what the band tells me.
The cigars measures in at about 6 x 50. The band is colorful with a wealth of information. It reads: Master Blend. Oliva Cigar Company. Limited Production 375,000 cigars. There is a half moon cutout and the bottom front where a design has been stamped on the wrapper. Does Oliva make anything other than Nicaraguans? My assumption is that's what it is.

The wrapper itself was a medium brown. It was smooth and without flaws. I cut the pointy end off and tried the draw. It was tight. I used my Perfect Draw tool and the result was a nice open draw. This thing really works!
A whiff of the foot presented a light earthy aroma. I lit the end with a match and puffed a bit. Hey, I got a nice sweet flavor right off the bat! It had a nice light cedar flavor I really like and don't get often enough in a cigar. It's Nicaraguan for sure. So I smoked away enjoying every flavorful puff. The cedar seemed to intensify and the strength increased a bit. It was like eating a meal in which everything is perfectly seasoned. The cedar never became overwhelming and it was never too strong. I'd call it a medium body cigar.
The cigar just seemed to get better all the way. The burn was relatively straight with the typical white ash. I thought the wrapper might be too delicate, but it held up just fine all the way.
This is a really fine cigar! I easily give it a 9 of 10. I enjoyed it very much.

Epilogue: A cursory search shows me the Oliva Master Blend 3. That one sports a broad leaf wrapper and Nicaraguan ligero fillers. Looks like mine was from the first offering. The wrapper didn't look like a broad leaf, but that doesn't mean it wasn't. I'd expect more strength from ligero fillers. But I smoke some pretty strong cigars so that doesn't mean much. Damn good cigar in any case!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote