Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2002, 04:44 PM   #1
mingc
Club Member

I picked up this little bugger, 4" x 40, from my local guy and smoked it for lunch today. Verrrrry nice.

Now, as background, I don't much like the CAO Anniv eXtremes or Cameroons (haven't tried the Maduros), but I do like and very much respect the Brazilias. (Golds are okay too, but I feel that are lots of smokes, some cheaper, with the same flavor profile as the Golds). But the Pampa is something else. It's certainly not as strong as the Brazilia; I'd classify the Criollo as a medium smoke, which some folks, including myself, might prefer. It's slightly sweet but not overtly so, and with a little age and perhaps drying-out, could be very smoooth. I detected some pepper but not very much. Overall, very well balanced and tasty. In short, the best CAO I've had yet!

Draw was somewhat firm, so it was a nice slow smoke. The stick also felt firm to the touch. The pigtail is a nice touch (I'm a sucker for pigtails!).

Despite the general criticisms of the Criollo wrapper as poor burning, I had no problems with the burn at all. No touch ups were required. (The wrapper looks to be on the thick side, with the burn characteristics of a maduro, tending to curl inwards towards the ash).

This is a smoke I would consider as an everyday smoke if I can find a good discounted price. Right now, I see it for over $100/box, even on the web; a bit too much for my cheap side. I also don't much like the overly elaborate packaging (I can't squeeze it into my already stuffed to the gills five rubberdors!)

4.5 out of 5.

Edited by - TOJE on 11/01/2002 6:12:28 PM