Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #27
Oregone
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Plague
This thread got me craving some Chimay, so I just polished off a bottle of the Cinq Cent

Can't so much about if it's better or worse, I only started drinking the stuff two years ago.

I also tried Thomas Hardy's Ale (an English old ale) for the first time tonight. It's made much the same as abbey ale (lees in the bottle) and tastes surprizingly like a good Trappist beer, though sweeter than most.
Thomas Hardy's needs, literally, 3-5 years in the bottle before drinking. When it's bottled, it is very sweet, but goes through a long slow conditioning in the bottle (if properly stored) that dries out the beer considerably and allows the complexity to come through.

The original brewer dropped the beer a few years ago, and it seemed that it would be lost forever, but another brewery has been producing it since 2003. Any of their bottlings are very young or too young, and would definitely benefit from cellaring for several years. Frankly, the longer you can hang on to them without drinking them, the better, much like really good Habanos.

-- Mark Twain
Oregone is offline   Reply With Quote