Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2003, 09:34 AM   #1
RickB
Starting Member

I have been lurking here and a few other cigar forums and just reading for the past few weeks. Although I notice some members here also post at other forums this one has the best members and information. I have to say it amazes me to see how friendly everyone here are to each other, giving cigars out to newbies, offering great advice and general great attitude of the members here. I am a moderator on a ATV related forum so I know how hard it is to maintain such a great forum with all the things this place has going for it.

I have been smoking cigars for just a few months now. It started slow but now I am sure I have been bitten badly by the cigar bug. At first I would stop by a small store that sells a few good cigars and buy one or two to smoke. Now it is getting to be an obsession to try them all. I have been buying singles and samplers everyday. Now most of the local smokeshops know me by name because I am in their walk in humidors on a daily basis. Even my wife smoked a cigar with me last evening!

I am going to build a humidor after I decide how large of one I will need. For now I am using some of the better wooden cigar boxes that a local smokeshop donated to me as humidors. So far I have filled three of them. I have a Credo Rondo in each one and a Radio Shack Humidity Meter/Thermometer to keep tabs on the cigars. So far so good, temp and humidity levels have been where they should be. I keep all my cigars and related things in the bottom drawer of a dresser in my bedroom with a small stainless pan of distilled water in the drawer also to raise the humidity level of the drawer some. The humidity of the room is around 50%, inside the drawer is about 60% and inside the storage boxes has been 68-70%. There is one thing that has me confused though, when I open a box and first look at the humidity meter it will read 68% but if I leave the box open for a few minutes to pick out a smoke the level will raise to 70%, I don't understand how or why this happens???

Does anyone else use the better wooden boxes as humidors? Anything wrong with this method of temporary storage? I have read many say to use a Tupperware container but to me that just seems wrong to put good cigars into a plastic food container!

I look forward to becoming more knowledgeable on the subject of cigars with help from the membership of this forum. Thanks in advance for the education I will receive from you all.