Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 11-28-2002, 07:33 AM   #1
Mo

I'm continuing to look for a good sub $500 guitar and am interested in hearing (excuse the pun ) opinions on Seagull guitars. I know they are no Martin, Taylor but they are super cheap.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistant one" - Albert Einstein
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 10:39 AM   #2
JoeyBogus
Club Member

Hey Mo,

I bought a Seagull S-Series Grand (folk guitar) about 6 months ago. I was looking for a decent sounding smaller-sized guitar that was affordable enough that I wouldn't be afraid to take with me on canoe and camping trips. I'm not much of a fingerpicker but this guitar would be great for that. Instead, I play a lot string-bending blues and this guitar sounds great in that role as well and it's not real difficult to reach the 15th fret, which can be a real problem with some of the other smaller parlor-sized guitars. The sound isn't really big like a Martin or an Ovation but it certainly beats out all of other the competition at that price point. Also, the action is really nice and low without any string buzz or vibrations and I almost feel like I'm playing one of my electrics.

Mine has a solid cedar top with a semi-gloss lacquer finish, cherry back & sides, silver leaf maple neck, and an Indian rosewood fingerboard & bridge. It came with a very nice lined hard-shell case and the price was $350 US. The guy at the guitar shop told me that the exchange rate with Canada (where Seagull guitars are made) is in favor of US buyers so that's a large part of why they are so affordable.

For more details, Seagull's web site is at: http://www.lasido.com

Edited by - joeybogus on 11/28/2002 11:48:30 AM
Old 11-28-2002, 11:47 AM   #3
St. Alphonzo

Mo,

Not sure if you have seen this site but alot of good info.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues...verStory.shtml
Old 11-29-2002, 07:01 AM   #4
Mo

JoeyBogus, I've played a couple and they sound very good for the price. Did you have your action adjusted on yours? They few that I've played had OK action, but probably could have been lowered a little.

St. Alphonzo, Yes, I've seen those reviews... actually that whole site has some good tidbits of information.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistant one" - Albert Einstein
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 09:09 AM   #5
JoeyBogus
Club Member

Quote:
JoeyBogus, I've played a couple and they sound very good for the price. Did you have your action adjusted on yours? They few that I've played had OK action, but probably could have been lowered a little.
No adjustments that I am aware of unless the guys in the shop did something to it before I got to it. From what I recall, the action on all of the Seagulls that I played seemed to be pretty good.

Happy shopping, and be sure to let us know what you decide on!
Old 12-02-2002, 07:38 AM   #6
Aahzz
Club Member

I've played a few, and generally liked the tone. Have found that several had extremely high action, to the point where it seemed that the truss rod may have never been properly adjusted. If you can find one that sounds and plays to your satisfaction, it's an excellent guitar. That having been said, for a mere $50 over your $500 limit ($549 at musiciansfriend.com - I got my local store to price match), you can get a Martin DM, which I found to be a noticeably better sounding/playing guitar.....
JLOH #42
Aahzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:30 AM   #7
mannish
Herf God

If I were playing 500 for a guitar Seagull would not be in the picutre. However I bought
a 100 dollar Seagull at a pawn shop for a friend and it is a right nice guitar. Aahzz
said it right spend a little more to get something better not that Seagull is not good just better axes for 500 out there. (IMHO).
I ain't gonna comment on the truss rod adjustment