Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
tandblov
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedski
IMO, large ring vs small ring cigars comparisons really have no bearing here. For one thing, the blend changes as the size of the cigar changes. In addition the percentage of wrapper leaf also changes.

Good point Ted,

However, The amount of flavor that the wrapper is responsible for seems to be a matter of debate...some say alot some say a little. And the blend of a cigar may change depending on the vitola, and may not. Certainly there is a difference in the amount of tobacco in a PC than a DC. But for example, I find the blend and flavor of a RASCC to be almost the same as a RAG, just different sizes.

My point was primarily about temperature. Perhaps that didn't come across. When I smoke a thin guage cigar, it requires light draws, slow draws and and overall attention to not heating the cigar up or the taste turns south. This is not so much the case with larger guage smokes.

The same goes with my pipe smoking. The lighter I draw (compared to what I did when I was first starting) the better the flavor and the lower the temp. Temp regulation is different in each pipe I own. There seems to be a direct relationship between heat and the flavor of the smoke. Some pipes smoke hotter than others with the same blends and techniques.

In hindsight it seems clear that I left out the important components to a good cigar and the differences between guages, but the principle is what I was trying to get across.

Todd...I've had the same experience with some of my blends as well. Different flavors from different pipes. (the only differences between them is the size of the bowls and the thickness of the walls. They both have had similar amounts of the same blends smoked from them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSg4mhlm6Hg
tandblov is offline   Reply With Quote