Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Herf's Up!!

Herf's Up!! A room dedicated to the announcement and discussion of herfs.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
debaire
Herf Meister

Stupid newbie question

But what goes on at a herf besides sitting around and smoking together? I mean, are you expected to bring smokes for everyone, pay for things, bring things, etc. etc. Just wondering...

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
TheSaint
Club Member

I personally would bring a bunch of my favorites, not enough for everybody, but enough were you can share with a few BOTL's that may have nerver tried it. And those guys may bring cigars that you may have never tried. Granted you can do what you want, a herf is a time where you can enjoy a good smoke with great friends, thats what is is really about!!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
love_this
Club Member

Steve,

The local So Cal group hasn't had a herf in awhile. We've all been a bit busy. Lately we've been meeting at the Burbank B&G on Thursday, but it's been awhile.

Keep looking in this room for announcements of our next get together.
love_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Debaire, it's whatever you want it to be.
The common activities, that seem to occur at all herfs are fine cigars, good food, fine libations and great conversation.

It can be a huge formal affair, these are ok. I prefer somewhat smaller, quieter get-togethers. Many large herfs have raffles, auctions and what have you for charity and/or games like speed-herf contest, long-ash contest etc.

But, like I said, I enjoy gathering with my good friends, talking and laughing.

Some people love to bring boxes and boxes of cigars, giving something to everyone. Some people don't have that kind of stock or that kind of money. I'm one of those. I bring a few cigars to smoke, and a few to give to as many people as I can. Since I don't like to make a big show, anyway, I often go into "Stealth Mode" by sneaking one good cigar into the otterbox/travel humidor/tupperdor of all my good friends.

Of course some smokers DO expect every person at a herf to give out as many cigars as everyone else. I don't.

It's not proper to come empty handed, but it's also not proper to expect every person to hand out lots of cigars to everyone else.

Hey, just my opinion, though.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:30 AM   #5
TheSaint
Club Member

-For TommyBB, well said!
Old 10-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
hdking

Tommy
covered it pretty good.
go to have fun, and meet new people.
enjoy a few cigars and a couple of drinks.
i go to as many as i can.

hdking(phil)
Old 10-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
debaire
Herf Meister

I guess I'm a bit intimidated because it seems there are some who already have a great camaraderie. It's always hard to "break in".

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

We were all that way at one point. I HATE walking into groups of people I haven't met, especially close knit groups. But at some point or other it happens.

Spiridon and Sevenmag have been friends and co-workers for years, they set up the first Mobile BayFest herf four years ago. We got there late, and Nivek, BigO, Jmcq, Will and a few others were already there when we walked in. I was nervous as all hell. BUT, I'd been on the board talking to all these guys for months, by the time it ended, we had cemented online relationships into true friendship that lasts to this day.

Don't be a loudmouth ass, and don't hide in the corner, and you'll have a great time, in fact, you'll go to every event you possibly can once you've been to one. You'll even have one yourself before long.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #9
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

I walked into my first major herf of about 20 people and loudly stated, "Bigdogs the name. Herfin's my game!" I did it mainly for comic relief as well as to break the ice and it worked.

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
GarMe1962
Club Member

The Sacto Mafia loves herf newbs...we get to show them the ropes, share ciagrs and knowledge, and finally wait for your credit cards to get maxed!!!

You're welcome to join us anytime in Sacramento - and there never is an expectation on you to pass out smokes - although you'll most likely walk away with more smokes than what you came with