Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2003, 02:40 PM   #26
HMS Richard

For most applications, I am recommending hydrating superabsorbent polymers with a 50:50 mix of distilled water and PG. I think this should be the starting point for most applications. The one thing you did not mention, unless I missed it, is whether you tried reducing the amount of polymers to help lower your RH. Coolers are very tightly sealed and require little in the way of humidification. Also, was your vent hole opened?

Polymers have tremendous potential as far as cigar storage is concerned. I continue to tweak and inquire with the manufacturers of this stuff to see how it can better meet our needs. The nice thing about polymers is that they are so cheap, you can experiment to your heart's content. Right now I am working on the mold and discoloration issue which crops up with polymers when used in passive humidifiers. (I am not aware of a single case of mold when polymers are used in the active CigarOasis system.) So far, one of the best mold retardents you can apply to polymers or floris foam is PG. It does in fact work very well.

(Those who are using polymers in their CigarOasis cartridge in lieu of florist foam should be advised to hydrate only with distilled water. The CO sensor will do the regulating.)