Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
rockace521
Herf God

Reel to reels?

This technology may be too old for anyone to have an opinion on, but a local-area craigslister has three different reel 2 reels for sale pretty cheap, and I was wondering what the heck a person could even use such a thing for in this digital era?

If I ever wanted (heaven forbid) to record myself playing/singing anything (...I don't know, maybe Heart's Crazy On You?), could there be any benefit in the old technology that a good digital recording device couldn't provide, with infinitely more erase/reuse-ability?

I guess this would be intended for any of the more serious musicians or anyone who knows about the recording aspect of music, which I assume is a whole different specialization than playing. I know basically nothing about recording, studio work, mixing boards, sound, mikes, etc. I have a guitar and a couple combo amps, period. Can you even GET tape for reel 2 reels anymore? Just wondering what the heck, as he's selling them on the "music instr" board, squeezed in between the standard Epiphone Les Pauls and Squire Strats w/amp entries.

I checked back with the ad, and the best one looks to be an AKAI GX77 4 TRACK STEREO, for $375. Sounds like a lot for old technology.

Last edited by rockace521; 04-05-2011 at 09:18 AM.
rockace521 is offline   Reply With Quote