Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
sharil

Thumbs up Cohiba Secretos

To me despite the introduction of the Trinidad, Cohiba will always remain the forefront of Cuban Cigars.

I remembered the first time I smoked the Cohiba Robusto. That experience pretty much propelled my fascination and love for the marquee. It was robust,solid, powerful and wonderfully constructed. It was such a beautiful and beefy smoke.

Knowing it will be covered in Maduro I must admit I'm not only curious how it will taste but I knew this is a cigar I really wanted to get my hands on. I thought I try the Secretos over the Magicos considering the former is already going to cost RM60 (USD$17).

I'm not the biggest fan of Maduro cigars. However I am a big fan of the Padron 1964.

The Secretos Maduro wrapper is veiny and the shade is not really dark but enough to tell apart from the regular Cohiba. Looks rather rustic and the extra band is really a nice touch in my opinion.

Once punched the dry draw was satisfactory. Not too tight nor too loose. So far so good.

Lit up the first few draws was marvelous. Strong lush smokes with dark almost peppery taste.

The taste and strength grows stronger and more pronounced after every draw.

However the bitter taste I usually get with maduro cigars did not really translate with the Secretos.

It ends very strong but did not overwhelm. What really amazes me the most with the cigar is how smooth the taste is from start to the end.

My verdict? Easily the best cigar I've smoked for 2008 and definitely a must smoke for all cigar lover.

Comparative to Padron 1964, I feel the Secretos is not as strong as the 1964 but I feel it's more balanced in strength and taste. However I would definitely be in envy if I knew anyone who has both in their collection.

I guess my only complaint with the Secretos is the pricing (and the not so even burning throughout) but then again for a cigar this good that is something you could quickly forget until of course when you're ready to purchase another one!