Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
PCaponi
Herf Cop
Herf Meister

H. Upmann Magnum 50

One of the more dissapointing cigars I have smiked in quite some time. Started out fine but went down hill after about 15 minutes. Very bitter taste. It then started to burn down one side. This could not be corrected. The cigar seemed to be underfilled. It became very soft to the touch and proceeded to fall apart. I had to toss it half way through. Not worthy of the Upmann name. Maybe a few years of aging will bring it around. Check back in two years and we will see.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
aficionado99
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCaponi View Post
One of the more dissapointing cigars I have smiked in quite some time. Started out fine but went down hill after about 15 minutes. Very bitter taste. It then started to burn down one side. This could not be corrected. The cigar seemed to be underfilled. It became very soft to the touch and proceeded to fall apart. I had to toss it half way through. Not worthy of the Upmann name. Maybe a few years of aging will bring it around. Check back in two years and we will see.

Phil I had the exact same experience with one I bought at LCDH in Montreal ($42/stick) but i had bought 2 and smoked the second one maybe 3 months later and that 2nd MAG 50 was totally different from the 1rst one very tasty , well constructed , nice burn , they'll never be like the MAG 50 EL's but IMO they have a great Future......
Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
ksblazer

That's too bad. The ones I have smoked have been on the underfilled side as well. I can smoke one in less than an hour without rushing it. I have not had any burn issues though.

I hope you give them another shot. As I feel that they are on of the better 08cigars out there.

Look forward to seeing other members response to this cigar.

Last edited by ksblazer; 03-14-2009 at 09:53 AM.
ksblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Interesting how pervasive the experience of underfilled samples seems to be when it comes to this one.
I hope the longer term does bring some improvement combustion and taste-wise.
Thanks for the write-up, Phil.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
flyfishtn
Club Member

Well, as mine sit in my humi and I read this, I may let them sit longer or it may be a good time to test the waters for hopefully what won't be confirmation.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Shooter
Club Member

A friend gifted me two the other day and I promptly smoked one soon after. I have to say--one of the most enjoyable Upmann's I've had! The flavors were just superb; nutty, earthy, a sweetness of sorts coming through at times! I didn't want to take it from my lips!

Who knows--the one certainty with Habanos is the UNcertainty you'll get from box to box (and even inside each box--rolled by many different rollers)!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
audio1der
Club Member

I agree 100% with Phil, but think it may take closer to 5 years for them to turn around.

I must not buy cigars without trying first...
I must not buy cigars without trying first...
Cuban cigar snob #1.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
demiurgic
Starting Member

ENE08 MAG 50

Lovely forum you have here. thanks for having me!
Amazing construction, Tightly packed with a perfect firm draw.
First half was mild-ish with a strong barnyard/manure smell which was hard to ignore.
Second half was extremely powerful/aggressive/peppery/muted flavored leading me to think it has the horses to turn into a spectacular smoke in a year to three.
Time will tell.
demiurgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
ksblazer

Welcome to cigarweekly demiurgic and we are glad that that you have found us here.

I do enjoy the Mag 50's as well. The ones I've tried are from mid 08. While I do enjoy the flavor profile. Mine have been a little underfilled. In no way am I giving up on them as they are one of the better 08 cigars I have smoked.
ksblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
BobK

Great cigar, no problem with under filling. The usual Cuban overfilling resulting in poor draws is omnipresent. Why don't they send their rollers to the Padron factory to learn how to roll cigars? It's a joke the so-called "quality control" the cubes put in place.
BobK is offline   Reply With Quote