Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #1
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Lo Carb foods: the god, the bad and the vile

A number of us are doing the lo carb thing. I started this thread to highlight which foods are good and those that suck donkey butt.

Ice Cream: Enlightened and Rebel brands are great. The mint chip ice cream sandwiches are a real treat (@$3 apiece) Halo Top is freaking awful, unless you like to chew your ice cream. IMO, that's kind of a point to not eat ice cream in the first place. The mouth feel is awful and the flavor makes it even worse. How you can screw up vanilla ice cream is beyond my imagination, but these guys will drive you to giving up ice cream altogether. Heavy cream, evaporated milk, sugar substitute and whatever flavor you want. What's so damned hard about that? I like sorbet, but what the hell good is vanilla sorbet as opposed to vanilla ice cream?

Dipping/Marinade/BBQ sauces: G Hughes and Ray's (as in Sweet Baby Rays) are good. Heritage Farms sucks in just about every category except their honey-mustard salad dressing. Bag of coleslaw, slivered red onion and a bottle of the sauce is a great side dish as long as it doesn't have much carrot in it.

Salad dressings: Skinny Gurl makes both a great raspberry and balsamic vinaigrette. When it comes to balsamic vinaigrette, I prefer to make my own with all of the vinegars and oils I have (latest buy, macadamia nut oil. haven't tried it yet). If I'm feeling lazy, these two are excellent. Especially warmed over a fresh spinach salad. I eat salad greens by the bag, not the bowl. Blue cheese, tomato, dried cranberries, chopped hard boiled eggs, a little slivered onion, dressed and then a handful of Parm Crisps is my favorite.

Crackers: the best, by far, is the Sonoma Creamery Pepper Jack crisps available at Costco. I eat them with tuna, egg or chicken salads. 5g carb from six crisps, but satisfies the cracker crunch you want with those salads.They are quite salty, though.

Bread/buns: Dieter's Dream Keto brand (they make other diet breads, but the Keto is zero carbs per slice...feel free to sandwich again). Zero carbs per slice/bun and it tastes like white bread despite it being high fiber. Eggs for breakfast are great, but now I can sop up the yolks with a toasted slice like I would with wheat toast off-diet.

Jerky: Tillamook sugar free. Their zero sugar sausage snacks have an awful texture, but their jerky is quite good, especially with hot sauce. I usually make my own in the dehydrator, as it's $6 for a tiny bag worth. G Hughes' teriyaki marinade is very good for the task. Round eye roast is the easiest to remove the fat and is often found in the "rotten meat bin" (as a friend of mine called it). In some cases, if you know your butcher(s), they'll trim the fat cap off, slice it for jerky for you and charge you the reduced weight minus the trimming weight. I like a bit of Lea and Perrins in my marinade, but that adds carbs too.

Frozen pizza: Caulipower. The rest of them suck. Choose your toppings, or buy two crusts in the package and make your own. As much as I love BBQ, a crust with choice of BBQ sauce, leftover grilled chicken or pulled pork, a smattering of red onion and some shredded jack cheese makes an awesome BBQ pizza for fewer than 6g carbs if you eat the whole damned thing.

Hot sauce: Rooster brand Sri Racha. There is no substitute and 0 carbs. Use plentifully. Goes with just about anything, including the aforementioned pizza(s).

Sweet pickle relish: Mt. Olive makes a good one, but the Kroger brand is much cheaper. Tuna and egg salad aren't complete without a spoonful or more. My sauce for tuna, egg, macaroni, and potato salads is pretty much the same. A blurt of stone ground mustard (I prefer Zatarain's Creole mustard), equal proportions of Duke's mayo and Miracle whip, a dab of sweet pickle relish and salt and pepper is all I do. Diced shallots and plenty of hard boiled egg are non-negotiable, no matter what kind of salad you are making. And for the love of everything that is holy, do not put celery, celery seed, green onion or anything else in it.

Feel free to add your own.

And, BTW, the title should read Good instead of God.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

Last edited by BigO; 09-16-2021 at 03:53 PM.
BigO is offline   Reply With Quote